It's Raining, but we don't CAIRNS


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
January 22nd 2010
Published: January 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our flight to Cairns was fine - except it turned into a 3 hour flight (as Cairns is 1 hour behind Sydney) and the seats were cramped for Billy (not much space at all) We picked up our car without any problems - a lovely Toyota Corolla.

We had decided to spend the day up in Port Douglas (as the weather wasn’t the greatest - and we were hoping it would improve) Port Douglas is about an hour drive (65km) north of Cairns - a lovely drive along the coastline with some beautiful beaches along the way. Port Douglas has a 4 mile beach lined with palm trees. Very picturesque and would be even better on a sunny day. They had cordoned off an area in the sea for swimmers - weighted nets to stop ‘stingers’ getting in. Billy braved it whilst I watched.

One thing we have noticed is that there are gas braai’s (barbeques) along the beaches and promenades for anyone to use - what an excellent idea!!!!

Cairns is VERY humid - worse than Durban (and we have yet to experience a sunny day) It is a lot more tropical than we had anticipated; there are many hills and rainforests that make a beautiful backdrop for the ocean.

After much deliberation over which tour to take for the Great Barrier Reef; we had decided to go on Friday (today) to our disappointment our trip was cancelled due to a Tropical Cyclone, how rude. What are the chances!!!! Cyclone Neville is meant to hang around till Sunday - we leave on Saturday. We had played with the idea of staying an extra day, but there is talk of a bigger cyclone on its way, so we have decided that what’s meant to be is meant to be (maybe another time Billy?)

Due to the heavy rain, our tent became a little wet, but then the whole campsite has turned into a mud pool. Please let the rain not follow us.

So due to our trip being cancelled we took a drive to Athertons Tableland - 80km west of Cairns up past the rainforest. Beautiful scenery. We stopped at a coffee and chocolate shop (for some retail therapy - hot chocolate and cake!), then made our way to Lake Eacham and Lake Barrone, volcanic craters. Despite the bad weather, the water was clear and almost turquoise. Lake Eacham had a turtle lookout, and we were fortunate enough to see a few swimming around.

We leave tomorrow for Mission Beach (making our way to the Whitsundays) And we are praying that the weather is not as bad down there.


Advertisement



22nd January 2010

Great Barrier Reef
Ah man that is disappointing, but hey that means you need to go back there one day to see the Barrier Reef, then I can join you there YAY!
22nd January 2010

Thanks!
Thatnks for the update - I love getting the email to let me know that there is something more to read about your travels. Soundls like you are having a wonderful time!!
22nd January 2010

we don't cairns
Shame you won't get to see the Great Barrier Reef. Hope the cyclone doesn't follow you. Travel safe. love mum
22nd January 2010

hey sandra n billy, we're all keeping up to date with ur travels, sounds amazing! All the girls at Wishax xxxx
22nd January 2010

Hallo. SOunds fantstic!!! Awww, so sorry to hear that you could not go diving(!!!)) especialy since I know how excited Sandra was about it!!!!!!!! All those mentionings of long sandy beaches makes me want to get on a plane NOW!!!! Enjoy!
22nd January 2010

Yeh, too bad about the Barrier Reef....but as you say..there's always next time Sandra!!!:-)
22nd January 2010

Cairns
Thats so disappointing for you. Sounds like beautiful scenery though. Thats the beauty of camping, you can just move on, hopefully away from the rain! Hope you enjoyed the cake.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb