Kangeroo Supper


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
January 7th 2008
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

pic 1pic 1pic 1

Cairns harbour
Another early start for us and another re-pack of our suitcase, even though we had done a lot of it the night before it still ends up with one of us sitting on the case while the other shouts "Too much !!!" We managed it though and were at the airport for our 9am flight. After a short flight we arrived in a cloudy and wet Cairns. Our tan was fading by the second as we arrived at our hotel which was right smack in the hub of it all on on the Esplanade. After unpacking we sat down to watch the pouring rain .... Great. The taxi driver told us this was the start of the wet season, something all the tour operators failed to mention !!! After chatting to the guys downstairs about what trips we should do we still couldn't make up our minds so went out to view the town.
Cairns town is a combination of food shops, tourist info shops and dodgy souvanier shops. Note to friends and family - please accept your crappy, tacky gifts gracefully. After seeing street upon street of the same shops we stopped for a quick beverage to get out of
pic 2pic 2pic 2

View from our balcony
the rain and then walked
back to the hotel .... in the rain.
We got ready for our night out, watching the rain and then went to the restaurant that we had already booked from the UK on the reccommendation of a guy at the OZ show at the G Mex. It was called the Red Ochre Grill and is world reknowned for serving tradional Aussie FAyre and when I say traditional, yes I mean Kangeroo, Emu and Crocodile!!! We decided to go all out and have the Australian Platter which consisted of some antipaste... lightly fried kangeroo, octopus and crocodile wontons. This was followed by a main meal of kangeroo and emy steaks, served with bok choi, mishrooms and crushed potatoes.... mmmmmmmmmmmm it was delicious and we would both really reccommend it to anyone coming to Cairns... the Kangeroo wasn't hopping and the Crocodile didn't snap so.... Pudding was a gorgeous pavlova with an amazing chocolate pudding that the chef had prepared specially for us as it was our 'honeymoon'!!!! It was a white chocolate basket filled with chocolate mousse with strawberries ... oh my god....... he had even written ' Congradulations' in dark chocolate.. (and yes Mum that is the way that he spelt it!!!) The whole meal was amazing and we literally had to roll home, obviously through the pouring rain..... as we were so full!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb