He just laughed and gave me a vegemite sandwich


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday 29th June - Sun 1st July - Fraser island self drive adventure

We got off to a bad start as our land rover wouldn't start to get on the ferry. The rather useless tour company pushed us on assuring us it would work on the island (although they previously told us that push starts are impossible in the sand). We had to push start in the sand 3 or 4 times a day. Once from very deep, soft sand. It was hard work but I really enjoyed it as I felt like we were in 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
We were really lucky with our group which was made up of four irish and three germans (my heritage) and us two. Our group was really lovely and everyone mucked in with putting up tents, cooking etc. There were some very big brother esque arguments all about food - I am not eating that chicken.
Fraser Island is stunningly beautiful and we were really lucky that the bad weather has finally gone. First we went to Lake Mackenzie and swam in the perfectly clear fresh water which you can drink while you swim. We also saw the Maheno shipwreck and know nothing about it - I think it was circus clowns who got eaten by tiger sharks. We also saw the pinnacle rocks. The plaque there says that the Butjala people (the aborigine tribe on the island) believe the sand is coloured because of a girl who fell in love with a rainbow. We stayed on their campground and they told us a completely different story about a girl loving the wrong man who was killed there.
We sat round there campfire and had a lovely evening. The guys were allowed to try the didgeridoo but us women can't even touch it or we'll get pregnant. A guitar was passed round and there were lots of half remembered half verses vaguely song.
Next morning I got up to watch a beautiful sunrise with some danish people which was accompanied by a triple rainbow. We went to Indian Head which the Butjala folks told us is where there ancestors had to choice of jumping off the cliff or being shot.
We saw loads of sea creatures from here, whales, sea turtles, a tiger shark, some stingrays and more dolphins.
At the next campsite a Pinter-esque over officious ranger took the wood off us we'd been allowed to take by the Butjala. It was cold and dark so we headed to the beach looking for the full moon party bonfire. We walked about 3km following a car light and settled in to drink goon, irish dance and do athletics in the moonlight.
On the final day we walked across massive high sand dunes - I felt like we were in the Sahara - to Lake Wabby which was very very cold and very green.
Sad to be leaving enjoyed the adventure and the outdoors. Very very tired.

Mon 2nd July - Hervey Bay - Long walk along the bay in the perfect weather. Bus to Agnes Water staying at Cool bananas - apparently Oz's best hostel. Very nicely decorated but psycho chef shouted at me for a opening a can of tuna!

Tues 3rd July - Wed 4th July - Agnes Water - Very chilled day doing poi on the beach and lying in a hammock. Then surf lesson in absolutely no waves from a stoner cowboy - frustrating and rather pointless. Long overnight bus for 15 hours. Highlight was watching incredible shooting stars and a massive yellow moon rise in the middle of nowhere.

Thurs 5th July - Sun 8th July - Arrived in Townsville looking for the best deal and found it was staying in Magnetic Island in huts practically on the beach. We went snorkelling and saw the beautiful colours and little tropical fish of the reef. We kayaked around the bay, swam in the sea - island paradise. Shame it gets dark at 5pm though and theres nothing to do in the evening . We were befriended by a group of hilarious US marines on shore leave one night - who were really excited to have two nights off their ship of 3500. All day bus up to Cairns (our last bus of 11).

Mon 9th July - Tues 10th July - In Cairns sorting things out for Bangkok and spending ages waiting for flights - I am very excited that we'll be in Asia soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.2kb