Part 8: Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
October 29th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We survived the night. NZ Norman Bates drove us to the airport and bid us a creepy farewell. We tried to steal McDonald's wifi again, but no dice in the Auckland airport. Our flight to Brisbane was pretty uneventful. We accidentally sat in an older couple's seat and felt like morons. But got to watch a couple decent movies after that. We landed with about 20 minutes left in Savages, a surprisingly good movie.



Brisbane...nice and rainy. Perfect. Checked into the hostel, which was actually the nicest hostel we have stayed in so far. It reminded us of a Lousiana Bayou house (old classic framing). We walked to the library to steal wifi (which is where I was able to publiosh all those last entries a few weeks back). We walked to the lagoon near the river, which was a cool shopping and beach area. We split a banana split and some Mexican food, before wandering around the Brisbane museum to learn of all the terrifying Australian creatures that promised to kill us over the coming weeks. We also had our first encounter with ibis.



An ibis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_White_Ibis) is (for those too lazy to click the link) is like a weird, albino, midget flamingo. They are widespread through the cities of Australia, and are basically the Australian version of pigeons (which they also have). Ibis love to hang out near outdoor food vendors, and also like to steal food from seagulls. We saw one crafty ibis steal food from an iguana, who seemed rightfully upset at losing his dinner.



We walked back to the hostel where we found out they have Showtime (WHAT!), which was playing Dexter (WHAT?!) so we caught up on that then headed straight to bed for our early flight to Airlie Beach tomorrow.



Pretty boring update but we have some exciting events ahead of us...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb