Countdown To Deutschland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
November 23rd 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Well we are finally getting close to being ready to leave - not long now (5th December).

Hopefully lessons learnt from last year’s escapade in France will ensure smooth sailing this time around (at least I won’t be lugging a 20km duffel bag this time!). Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that I won’t try to wipe out some poor cyclist again as I come to grips with driving back-to-front. As long as I can keep out of the fast lane of the Autobahns, I should be able to avoid copping a 911 in the boot.

We've bought ski suits here - crazy in some ways; but actually cheaper, and at least we'll have them earlier in the trip if our un-acclimatised (is this a word?) Antipodean limbs start to seize up. Anyway, thanks to suction bags, we've managed to condense all 3 of them into a compact slab of winter apparel.

The basic itinerary is as follows:

1. Fly to Frankfurt via Incheon, Korea


Looking forward to breakfast at the Incheon Hyatt Regency. Check this place out - I can't believe we stay here for free with our airline ticket: http://incheon.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?null

2. One night in Frankfurt


Staying in a hostel - looks very neat and clean, and the dude from reception (Sven - go figure!) has been very helpful. Will buy Kohen a car-seat and pick up the hire car here.

3. One week in Sulzfeld am Main


A cool little fortified village near Wuerzburg, where we get to stay in a 14th Century tower apartment - king for a day! The start of the Romantische Strasse.

4. One week in Dinkelsbuhl


Another ancient country town in Bavaria. Hopefully, this place should have all the charm of the Romantic Road but with a little bit less of the tourist traps.

5. Hit Munich for the first time


Catch up with our friend Oly for a few days and check out some Christmas markets.

6. Road Trip to Westhofen


Travel to Oly's home town for Christmas (white?? - we live in hope) with his family, and butcher some German Christmas carols (I don't even know the English ones!). Really looking forward to a German family Christmas - we're so blessed.

7. Back to Munich


A week in Munich and New Years - with the benefit of a locals' insights and tips. Probably also some untidy times involving Jagermeister, Bavarian beer and maybe some AC/DC - unsure if it gets much better than this!

8. Drive to Austria


Down to the little village of Tulfes just out of Innsbruck. Should catch up with Graham and Marta who'll be over from Spain - and maybe a dip in some hot springs in Seefeld.

9. Back to Germany


Drive to Oberstaufen to stay in a farm house - hopefully Margit's English will be better than our German. Kohen will no doubt love the animals, and we'll do some skiing and good old fashioned relaxing before heading home.

10. Heading Home


Drive to Lindau on Bodensee/Lake Constance for the day, and catch a train to Zurich to fly home.

Hope you all enjoy reading about our travels. Will post again as we get underway with lots of photos (and videos if possible).

Our overall route is in this map (you may need to zoom in/out - It seems a bit dodgy):




Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb