The Sunshine State!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
September 27th 2010
Published: September 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
Coming to the end of our trip now but not winding down as there's still so much to do! We're in Brisbane now and it's so nice to be staying with family, we are being really well looked after by John and Lisa and we are enjoying some much needed home comforts.
Arrived on Thursday morning and have packed quite a bit in since then. We headed into the city on Friday, first of all finishing off the tour of Australia's cricket grounds with a trip to the Gabba. Then we headed for the shops, and for a laze around the beach on the Southbank. We also did the city river tour on the CityCat which was brill because all you need is a day ticket for the city transport network and you can just go up and down as you please!
Saturday we spent at Mount Tamborine with lovely Edna and Tus who showed us plenty of the sights around the mountain. We started out with a picnic lunch at the Botanical Gardens (narrowly avoiding the rain and the kookaburra's!) then headed for a walk up the main street, and to the cheese factory. We also spotted some handgliders running off the mountain (eek!) and went to a hotel which Mel Gibson originally owned for a beautiful (if a bit merky) view of the Gold Coast, before heading back for a delicious BBQ.
Sunday morning we had the opportunity to meet up with some of our relatives who emigrated to Australia in the 1950's when we all went for a breakfast buffet in Brisbane, and it was brilliant exchange stories with them but sad to leave them after such a short time in their company.
After brekkie we headed to Mount Coot-tha for another fantastic view over the city and the mountain ranges and an ice cream (or two for James, seeing as he dropped the first one two seconds after buying it!), as well as some not so free flowing waterfalls! After our lovely nature walk up to the falls and back we headed home for a dip in the pool and a delicious takeaway, then stayed up late to watch wolves lose to villa (great).
Today we all headed down to the Gold Coast to see the beaches at Burleigh Heads and Coollangatta, which is where the Queensland/New South Wales border is. The beaches were just beautiful and we couldn't resist going for a dip in the South Pacific Ocean!
Plan for tomorrow is the head to the Sunshine Coast, and then take in some more sights before we head back to Blighty on Wednesday evening.
Love to all,
The Bears xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Brisbane RiverBrisbane River
Brisbane River

Millionaire's houses on the river
Brisbane RiverBrisbane River
Brisbane River

On the CityCat
Brisbane RiverBrisbane River
Brisbane River

On the CityCat
Brisbane RiverBrisbane River
Brisbane River

On the CityCat
Mount TamborineMount Tamborine
Mount Tamborine

Botanical Gardens
Mount TamborineMount Tamborine
Mount Tamborine

Picnic with Tus and Edna
Mount TamborineMount Tamborine
Mount Tamborine

Picnic with Tus and Edna
Mount TamborineMount Tamborine
Mount Tamborine

Kookaburra with James chicken bone


30th September 2010

welcome home
Welcome home Nat and Ja. we have missed you so much. Dave and myself would like to thank all the families who have looked after James and Natalie while they have been on there travels we really do appreciate how you have all made them feel so welcome. after all they are only bears in a different country. with love to you all June and Dave xx

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb