Brisbane to Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
March 7th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

From the moment we arrived in Brisbane to when we left the weather was crap. Rain, Rain, Rain!!! We booked our hostel previously at peter pans for $20 and then booked an extra night at Brisbane bus station info desk for $22. Then we set out on foot to find Base Central Hostel.

We did not really do much whilst we were there as it rained so much we could not be bothered to get wet. We did head up to a view point to look out over the city and managed to shoot a few shots in the 2 mins the rain stopped. It cost about $10 round trip on a local bus but wasnt really anything to shout about. We spent our time on the internet at peter pans and playing monopoly in the dorm. By the third day i was getting very ill and even had to take afternoon naps to get by and on one occasion i could not eat my tea. And for those who know me know that i eat no matter what. For our third night at the hostel we booked in house and it cost us $26. So if you want to book in Base central hostel do not do it direct as it is more expensive.

On our fourth day we headed off to the Apollo camper shop to pick up a relocation for sydney. We caught a local train and then had to walk for 10 mins with our packs on, i thought i wasnt going to make it as i felt like poop but craig pulled me along. We had 3 days to make the 1000 or so kilometres journey. Craig had to do all the driving in Apollo 13 (name of camper) as i was too ill and we made good time stopping at Nambuca Heads. The next day we left at 9 am or so we thought and had lunch at Mcdonalds. I tried to order the lunch special that ran from 12-2 but was told it was after 2, i said no it wasnt checking my watch again.Anyhow we then realised we had drove over a time zone at some point and were now an hour ahead. With that new information we quickly used the wireless internet and ate our grub and got back on the road. It was a total nightmare getting into Sydney at 7pm, we crossed the Sydney Harbour Bridge in a record time of an hour, amusing ourselves with the crazy drivers in front of us beeping their horns to which Craig joined in. At one point i did beleive i was hallucinating as a giant 20 foot guide dog rolled passed, i was relieved to know Craig saw it too.

Once over the bridge we nogotiated our way through the centre of Sydney in a direction that we guessed may have a caravan park. We drove for ages in the rain and soon were in the middle of nowhere on low fuel. I said to Craig or look the fuel light had popped on and he said or its been on for ten minutes i just didnt want to worry you. Nice, we were lost and had no where to stay and had no fuel to find a place. We eventually found a petrol station and asked the attendant for a place to stay and he was no help wotsoever, so off we went. We drove past the airport and just happened to stumble onto a camp site. I call it luck but Craig says he knew where he was going all along. The office was shut but the lady was really nice and let us park up.

The next day we dropped off the camper van and worked out that with this relocation we had travelled from Brisbane to Sydney and it had not cost us a thing. We had spent $148 of our $150 fuel allowance and got the van for free. We were really chuffed with ourselves but i must take most of the credit because i had organised the whole thing. From the hire office we walked to the train station and headed for Cambletown where i next adventure would begin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb