2 days in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
February 15th 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

14.02.06 Valentines Day
We have tried more WWOOF farms, but no luck yet. They are all booked until end of Feb or March. We'll keep trying, we want to get back out of the city.
Today we headed into town to get our jabs that we needed boosting! We went to the Travellers Doctor that is mentioned in the Lonely Planet book, we were quoted some crazy prices for our jabs and that we would first have to have a consultation which was also more money. Also we would be unable to claim any of it back on our medicare card, which we had joined for free. Plus they wouldn't be able to see us for a couple of days. So we went away from here a little flat because we didn't want to spend a lot of money on thigs we don't really want!
Luckily we came across another doctors, so we popped in there. All the jabs were cheaper but the consultation was more expensive, but we would be able to claim some of the consultation fee back on our medicare card which made it cheaper anyway! And he could see us right then! So we waited and was then seen by a very nice, informative chinese doctor. He told us what we should have and then stabbed us with them! They really hurt, a chinese lady actually did the stabbing and she punched us before she stuck it in, apparently so we wouldn't feel it going in! then after she was pushing it about, so we both had very sore arms for a couple of days. I even got my tetnaus and diptheria booster for free!!!!! What a nice man! ANyway in total we saved about $200 from going to the 'travellers doctor'! How good is that? Only bummer is I have to go back tomorrow for another jab which I have to go out and buy myself!

After a successful jabbing day we went back to the hostel for a swim and a little relaxation.
As it was valentines we treated ourselves to a 2 for 1 meal at the Caxton pub. We had to sit outside because of Andy looking like a thug! (he was wearing a vest) Andy had a steak sandwich and chips and I had a pizza which I took half home for tomorrows dinner. It was really nice.

15.02.06
Woo
Where do we go next?Where do we go next?Where do we go next?

Look at the concentration and thought, you can almost hear it ticking, but there's a couple of cogs not working!
Hoo! We have got booked onto a farm as of this Monday. It's near a place called Gatton and Cliffton. We are very excited.
So we have time to kill until then so we were looking for a place to go to get out of the city.
We decided on a place called Stradbrooke Island, that is not well known to travellers. It was going to be cheap and easy to get there and not too far up the coast.
We had our lunch in the Botanical gardens, which were nice but we got eayen by mozzies.
That afternoon I got my second jab, so now had 2 very dead sore arms.
We went back to the hostel, had a dip in the pool. Andy tried ringing Stradbrooke island for hostels. There are only 2 and one was booked up. The other one we couldn't get through. Eventually he found out the phone number was wrong in the lonely planet book. But he sorted it and got us booked in!
We then relaxed with a few movies.

(I (mel) entered a competition in a travellers magazine. I wrote a story about the day we sold our van. I only went and won! Which meant I got a rough guide book of my choice, so I have got us a south east asia book! and it is printed in the mag! Good eh?)



Advertisement



28th February 2006

Writers cramp?
Hey hey! A published author no less (hmmm bet you'll become unbearable now) just as well you did it before you got your shots tho - will you still be able to work on the farm with these stiff arms? So pleased you won - I really think its a great story too. Love ya Mandy x x

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb