We're at Australia zoo, CRIKEY!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Australia Zoo
February 13th 2006
Published: February 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

11.02.06
So we arrived in Brisbane, got on the shuttle bus and went to Aussie way backpackers in Petrie Terrace. It's a really nice hostel and it has a pool. All the people are really nice except for one guy who is in our dorm. A big finnish guy, who is very rude with bad manners. We tried to move rooms but none left. Oh well, Marco (the french guy also in our dorm) is ok. We went for a walk around the city and then relaxed by the pool in the evening. This was really good as we met some really nice people. (English, dutch, german and french) One couple we got on well with was Charlie and Holly. That night we went out with them for $5 steak and then a couple of drinks in Tin Billys Backpackers. It was a really nice night, made a change to go out with other people.

12.02.06
Today we walked into the city for a look at a couple of markets. Up here the weather is quite tropical so it rained a lot today. The markets were ok, we caught a ferry between them as it was only $2.10. We came
Ahhh look at that cute cuddly thingAhhh look at that cute cuddly thingAhhh look at that cute cuddly thing

The one in the middle is cute as well!
across a man made beach in the middle of the city, which was kind of cool.
Also today we checked out the price of the train to get to the Australia zoo. Some people at the hostel were going on a tour that picked you up from the hostel and took you to and from the zoo. This cost $70 each. Well the train costs $15 each and a discounted ticket for the zoo was $31, so that is how we are going to do it tomorrow and save $24 each!
That evening we relaxed and watched movies with people.

13.02.06
We were up at 6.50am to catch the 8.02 train to Beerwah where we then get a courtesy bus to the zoo for free. Well it all worked out well and we were at the zoo for 9.45am.
We went straight to the place where you can hold a koala. We were first in the queue.
We got to hold and pat it whilst we had our photo taken, so cute! Feels a little like sheeps wool. Next to here was the kids zoo! We loved it here. They had sheep, piglets, calves and goats. Typical, we come all the way to Australia zoo, and we like the farm animals best! We ll it was feeding time, so we queued up with the kids to buy a bottle. I had a piglet (Storm) and Andy had a goat. We fed this greedy, noisy animals. Lots of fun.
We then went to see the kangeroos, grey ones and later we saw red ones too. These were great, we could feed and pat them as well. They are really soft and kinda cute.
At 11am we went into the Crocosium for a few shows. First was the snakes then the tigers, birds and the the crocodiles. They were all good. They didn't have the animals doing tricks so it was just watching them how they would behave normally. Something that was quite different from shows at Colchester zoo, was the first aid they taught you if you get bit by a snake and what to do if you come across a croc! Kinda strange.

Lunch time was next. We had our packed lunch and stocked up on free sauces and salt and peppers at the cafe!! We just spent the rest of the day walking around, stroked a lot
AAAHHHHAAAHHHHAAAHHHH

This camel didn' seem very friendly, I think it may have had the HUMP on with me!
more koalas. Saw some wombats and a tasmanian devil. (No idea where the cartoon devil comes from?) We met Harriett, the oldest recorded giant tortoise. She was recorded in Darwins notes when he was on the Galapagus Islands in 1835ish!! She's in the world record book. She looks old too.

When we were done we got back on our free coach to hook up with the train and back to the hostel for a dip. We had a really good day and saved a lot y doing it ourselves!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Little pigies milking timeLittle pigies milking time
Little pigies milking time

The words, 'bacon sandwich' spring to mind.
Hold on !Hold on !
Hold on !

CRIKEY! This one nearly escaped but I managed to restrain it and it returned safely.(This was an actual life size model,17 metres long)
EmuEmu
Emu

Didn't see Rod Hull any where.
Snooze timeSnooze time
Snooze time

They sleep for 20 HOURS a day
TortoiseTortoise
Tortoise

They have the oldest tortoise in the world here born in 1835
KoalaKoala
Koala

They are not bears, the are Marsupials


20th February 2006

Thanks for the e-mail - What no Steve !
20th February 2006

What no Steve !
20th February 2006

Koalas
Hello you two, loved the photo of you Melissa with the Koala, have a similar one of Katie when she was in Australia. I really enjoy hearing what you have been doing. Sounds as though you are having a great time. All is well with me, had a busy week in shop as it was half term. We decorated the window in blue/white last week. There was a competition with shop owners decorating their windows in support of Colchester who were playing Chelsea. Sure someone must have told you! They lost 3-1, but didn't they do well. No, we didn't win, but it brought a lot of interest as people walked by. Keep the Blogs coming. Love to you both Lin

Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 25; qc: 129; dbt: 0.1603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb