One Year On


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
June 16th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A sign that gave us hopeA sign that gave us hopeA sign that gave us hope

We stumbled across this sign on a beach shack in NSW whilst we awaited a phone call for Kevin relating to a possible job offer. All through our travels we have been 'sent' messages to guide and support us.
How quickly this year has gone and I now find myself reflecting on the past years events. It is difficult to comprehend what has actually taken place over the past twelve months and that we have made it through the first year and have begun to set down new roots and make new commitments.

It has been a pretty busy year a bit like riding a roller coaster with high and low points! No matter how much research and conversations with people really prepares you for the paperwork and correspondence, the confusion and frustrations and the adjustment you have to make when uprooting your family, home and careers to another country. Australia could probably be best compared as to being the same but different. Unlike the initial comments ‘it is the same but hotter’ or ‘its like the UK but without the rain and cold’, does not quite fit the parallel, we have experienced both heat and cold in both hemispheres it is the laid back culture and easy going attitude that is sometimes difficult to adjust to, at times we feel we have traveled back in time 20 years along with the social attitude, education and commercial availability.
Yosemite National ParkYosemite National ParkYosemite National Park

The walk to Mirror Lake was well worth the trek. The huge mountain in the distance reflected in the lake amidst an eerie silence was over whelming.
And as for the fashion…..well it is in a league of its own here you have to see it to believe it!!!

The phrases ‘no worries’ and ‘too easy’ ‘righty oh’ and ‘good day’ are often spoken and relay a carefree attitude to work and social commitments. The term urgent hardly raises any importance and can keep one wondering for days sometimes weeks whether you will receive a reply. Certainly stress levels never seem to be raised because there is always tomorrow and a cool ‘stubby’ at the end of the day smoothes any worry away! We have had to adjust and expect this approach although at times we have been very frustrated.

Getting accustomed to shop opening and closing times, 9-5 weekdays till 6 on Thursday, 9-4 on Saturdays and some shops may open a few hours on a Sunday. The post office and banks only open weekdays and most restaurants and cafes stop serving by 9-30 at night! Having breakfast out is popular and people enjoy meeting in the cool of the morning and a good cup of coffee will be drunk at any time of day. There are plenty of restaurants and coffee shops
The All Amazing Bryce CanyonThe All Amazing Bryce CanyonThe All Amazing Bryce Canyon

We were all impressed with the magnicance and geological rock formation of this incredible canyon. The red rocks and funnel like chimneys pointing upwards as far as the eye can see were breathe taking.
offering alfresco venues. The supermarkets in my opinion are not as good and as varied as the UK and not nearly as inviting and the cost of a weekly shop is on a par with the UK now. There are still many independent green grocers, bakers, butchers and bottle shops(off licenses, alcohol is not sold in the supermarket) so there is plenty of competition. We do miss the home brands of Sainsbury’s though and of course chocolate, it does not taste the same here.

Adjusting to the education system out here has been problematic and at times very frustrating both as a teacher and at a student level. The boys have coped well with their new school experiences, Dominic enjoying being at Balmoral High School a State school not far from home and is doing well and Seb had a whirlwind term where he had to sit 6 exams and complete 4 term assessments in one term. Not an easy task and not helped by the low cohort that year which reflected on his overall mark, something that would not have been an issue had he gone to a private school as the students are split according to
The Gardens of JapanThe Gardens of JapanThe Gardens of Japan

We visited many beautiful gardens in Japan and loved the formal design and symbolic representation they displayed. Ideas we want to replicate in our new garden here in Australia.
ability and sit the exams at different times to help boost results and get higher grades. This was something we were not aware of until later when it was too late, besides fees over here at the moment as a non-resident meant International prices 4x more than a resident!!! So not really possible anyway. Seb will defer his entrance to university to do a teaching degree until next year after having saved up some much needed dollars! (the international fee still applies to uni!!!) I have also found it difficult to adjust to the somewhat carefree approach to teaching and limited planning and accountability, it is being introduced slowly here and the teachers don’t like it but seeing there is no National Curriculum and any thing goes there is a long way to go….. I have been busy implementing planning sheets and assessment profiles along with evaluations and personal appraisals not easy when you are a new kid on the block!! An easy way to alienate yourself but I have been encouraged to do so by the Principal to lead the way forward! It is a slow climb!

Despite buying a house, and investing money in jobs and
A Walk on The Great Wall of ChinaA Walk on The Great Wall of ChinaA Walk on The Great Wall of China

Despite the smog and poor visability we were able to walk along the wall and take in the history and wonder at the engineering acheivement. A truly memorable experience for all of us.
work to improve the house, two full time jobs, paying taxes, and contributing to the community we still feel outsiders and know what it feels like ‘not belonging’ and being ‘a foreigner’ it is very difficult at times as you realize how much we took for granted in the UK and now no longer have in Aus. Despite waiting 10 weeks for a reply from the immigration office we still await our renewal for our visa extension too which adds to the uncertainty and feeling of living in limbo. Everyone is tightening their belts over here too with the recession and you really have to be ‘needed’ and an ‘asset’ to the aussie economy to be granted visas now so we just sit and wait. It shouldn’t be a problem but as to who it will include will depend on a higher authority this time round.

How we miss the NHS and free consultations at the doctors, subsidized prescriptions and hospital treatment. Finding a doctor / surgery over here is a lottery and each practice have their own fee scale and it appears it is a license to print money!! You can claim part of the cost back
The Forbidden CityThe Forbidden CityThe Forbidden City

The vastness of the city required a whole day to explore and photograph.
on a visit but have to rely on private health care and that’s not cheap. As for the dentist , well that is another story!!!! Not having a financial rating and standing having only been in the country for a year places you at the bottom of the eligibility rating so establishing a credit rating is problematic. So many things you don’t think of and anticipate being a problem are!

We all have days when we are overwhelmed by a feeling of loneliness and helplessness and some days we question what we have done and have doubts. We all miss our family and friends greatly and feel the great distance between them and us, thank goodness for Skype and emails as well as Face Book. We have been fortunate to return to the UK at different times over the year to attend birthdays and exhibitions and managed to catch up on news and stories and take time to have quality time with the boys. At times the separation and division of the family is so hard and we have to remind ourselves as to why we have made the decisions we have and to hold onto our dreams and
HuangshanHuangshanHuangshan

The beautiful mountains of Huangshan pointed huge peaks into the blue sky dotted with pine trees clinging to the rock face. A feeling of serenity and peace was all around you.
vision as we enter into this new chapter of our lives. Someone told me it will take at least three years before we will begin to feel settled and ‘at home’ perhaps she is right?

There are so many things we enjoy here too and have already become accustomed to. The casual approach to fashion and the wearing of shorts and t-shirts most of the year to almost any function and not having to wear tights ( Hilary only!!). The warm balmy evenings and beautiful sunsets,(except for early darkness) the bats flying across the garden as they roost in the banana trees and the wonderful bird life as they fly in and out of the palm trees. The all year roundness of greenery and the amazing tropical plants only ever grown till now as pot plants indoors! The close proximity of the beautiful white sandy beaches and whale and dolphin watching, the boys surfing and swimming along with the beautiful hinterland and rainforest just a short drive away. The diverse tropical climate is truly breathtaking. The many cycle routes and drives into the countryside and the ability to swim at a beach in the middle of the city! Travel
The Rain in Hong KongThe Rain in Hong KongThe Rain in Hong Kong

For three days the rain fell and the tops of the high rised buildings were shrouded in cloud. We never made it up the mountain behind the city, a good reason to return one day!
is cheap and the Brisbane River offers many opportunities to travel its shores. Any excuse for a public holiday and a day off work applies in general here and so there are many different communities in Brisbane who offer up food fairs and cultural events to celebrate the diverse cultural divide.

We have had many wonderful days to fill a scrapbook full of memorable moments this year so many of them first time experiences. Our travels through California and the beautiful National Parks, especially Yosemite and Bryce Canyon along with Dominic’s dream fulfilled when we visited Universal Studios. Kevin’s ambition to fight at the Kodokan in Tokyo and experience staying in a Ryokan. To visiting the city of Kyoto and wander amidst the beautiful formal Japanese gardens. Walking the Wall of China and visiting the Forbidden City was a highlight for us all as well as viewing the incredible Terracotta Warriors in X’ian. To actually visit tourist sights only seen on the travel programs and to sail down the Lai River amidst misty blue mountains will be forever in our memory, especially the day trip to Huangshan where we scaled mountain paths amidst the most stunning scenery. Lively
Arriving at Brisabne Airport.Arriving at Brisabne Airport.Arriving at Brisabne Airport.

After weeks of travelling we were met at the airport by Alex and Anne and our good friend Mark.
Hong Kong and the constant tropical rain, to the beauty of the Barrier Reef and the beaches of Northern Queensland. The sunset climb on the Story Bridge and the free fall at 14,000’ over Bryon Bay are two birthday treats we will remember along with sitting on the headland at Cabaritta Beach and watching the whales breach as they swam up the coast to warmer waters. Our trip to O’Rielly’s and the Rainforest and the cycle trips along the Brisbane River. The firework displays and evenings at the ballet, opera and theatre and especially sharing many happy moments with family and friends, experiences we will treasure always. Our first Christmas in a tropical climate and not cooking a roast turkey! Swimming in the pool on Christmas Day and eating dinner under the stars. Living with Alex and Anne and the happy times we spent together and the time we had with Cieran when he visited us in the summer holidays. I could go on as there are so many wonderful moments captured in time, memories we have to hold on to when we question what we are doing half way round the world in a new country away from all
Hilary's SkydiveHilary's SkydiveHilary's Skydive

Me at 14,000' over looking Byron Bay. An experience I will certainly not wish to repeat! Not many can say though they did this for their 50th birthday treat!!!!
we have become so familiar with quite often taken for granted.

Who knows what a waits us this next year but what an action packed one we have just had!
As we stumbled across a sign once on a beach shack in the middle of nowhere…..
“Happiness is made not found”
So I guess it is down to us to make ‘the happiness’ in what ever way we can! So watch this space!
More pictures if you scroll down further.............




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Whale watching at CabarittaWhale watching at Cabaritta
Whale watching at Cabaritta

At the end of the day we watched the dolphins and whales swim pass the headland and breach playfully in the sea.
Climbing the Story BridgeClimbing the Story Bridge
Climbing the Story Bridge

A twilight climb on the Story Bridge for Kevin's birthday was very special and most memorable.
The Pottsville ExperienceThe Pottsville Experience
The Pottsville Experience

A week camping at Pottsville NSW was shared with new friends allowing us to explore more of the beautiful beaches and coastline.
Silly Santas in the pool!Silly Santas in the pool!
Silly Santas in the pool!

A different way to cool down on Christamas day! Our friends from the UK joined us and we had agreat first Christmas Down Under!
Our new home.Our new home.
Our new home.

We purchased a post war house in much need of renovation just after Christmas and have great plans to extend and improve it in the months to come.
Australia DayAustralia Day
Australia Day

A day of badminton, basket ball and swimming meant an exhausting round of heats and competitions as the parents competed against the youngsters! For the first time in three years the youngsters won the cup but not after a good fight!!


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb