Family hospitality in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
March 24th 2009
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yeah!! Finally we're out of the nightmare that was Cairns.... We flew to Brisbane after Jean's spots had dried up, but she still covered up with a tasteful scarf (neck spots hideous!!). Nick's cousin Beth welcomed us to her home and what a fab place it is.. on an acre plot in suburban area of Brisbane called Pullenvale, that she shares with her husband Steve and son Sam and of course their Jack Russel cross, Oscar (loved him!!). The house is large with a hot tub and pool.... so, this is by far the best hotel we've stayed at on this trip! On one of the days, Beth drove us up the mountain outside of Brissie where you get fantastic views over the city, viewing the meandering river, Moreton and Stradbroke islands and the other surrounding mountains. We also spent a half day walking down Surfers Paradise, a beach about an hour away from the house, then we both went for a dip in the sea.... what an experience! The waves were amazing and just push you around and wash you about... luckily there are specific areas of the beach that ared patrolled by Lifeguards so we stayed in those areas.
Mountain viewsMountain viewsMountain views

of Brisbane city


On the Saturday we were there, we went diving just north of Moreton island (the oil slick had gone north past this area) to a reef called Flinders reef. It was a great reef, full of life, colourful fish, turtles, small moray, yellow little nudibranchs (sea slugs) and crayfish. It was quite a taxing dive with surge still at 10m deep and a reasonably tough exit to the boat - swell and current. The second dive just didn't happen really as the skipper put us no where near the wrecks! It was Curtain reef, artificially sunk wrecks of over 50... there was severe current and visibility was pretty much nil, so we got out and put it down to experience.

A couple of days we went into the city of Brisbane and got the bus back.. bit of an experience with it being the time for school children travelling home... very busy. We had a few barbies and a few days by the pool relaxing and just generally chilling... getting too relaxed perhaps! It was so easy to stay there, with laurakeets, kookaburras and a possom in the garden! The possom was the family's first sighting too (the
Surfers ParadiseSurfers ParadiseSurfers Paradise

Sand so white...
family have been in Australia for about 2 years). It was spotted at night-time munching on the food in the birdfeeder! We all went down to look and Oscar went mad, barking and jumping up like a dog possessed! This chased the possom up the tree, but it new he'd be safe..

Jean's spots were healing nicely and it was time to move on to Sydney where on the following Saturday we were due to get the Indian Pacific to Perth. So we booked flights direct to spend some time in the biggest city of Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

On dive trip On dive trip
On dive trip

Wrecks off Moreton island, good for snorkellers
PossomPossom
Possom

Stealing food off the bird feeder at night-time
KookaburraKookaburra
Kookaburra

So cheeky up close
OscarOscar
Oscar

Lovely natured, playful Oscar... bet he's still trying to get at the cats across the road!
Moreton IslandMoreton Island
Moreton Island

Created from sand dunes
Beth's houseBeth's house
Beth's house

The pool
Beth's houseBeth's house
Beth's house

The garden, looking down to the creek and the woods where most of the Kookaburras appeared
Beth, Nick and SamBeth, Nick and Sam
Beth, Nick and Sam

Last photo shoot before departure... :-(


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb