Sydney, big city, so much to do!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
March 28th 2009
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Felt great to be in Sydney, Darling Harbour is a great area to be in and we took the first opportunity that evening to go to the Red Chilli just around the corner from our hotel, which is a fabulous Szechuan Chinese restaurant... abosolutely great food, the best Chinese meal we've ever had. The next day, we took a water taxi to circular quay which gave us amazing views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

We also saw the Sydney Aquarium, where we saw sea dragons, sea horses, sharks, rays and dugongs (sea cow, related to the elephant!)!

On one of the days we were there, we did a Hunter Valley tour with AAT Kings... we visited 3 wineries! Oakvale was great and as we had a bit of a long train ride to Perth soon we bought a few bottles to take with us.

On another day Jean went and did the Harbour Bridge Climb, how fantastic was that!!! A great experience. As the Australians are so fond of saying, the view was 'awesome'! The whole experience takes about 3.5 hours, with about an hour safety briefing, signing your life away and kitting up with a boiler suit, safety belt with harness, hat, headphone radio, fleece, raincoat, straps for glasses and even a handkerchief with elastic band to keep it on you! We were not allowed to take cameras with us but the guide took photos of us at various points. It was pretty windy up there but the bridge hardly moved at all... we crossed between the arches with 6 or 7 lanes of traffic below and a trainline, pedestrian walk and cycle path! When it was built there was only about 4 cars in the whole of Sydney, so it was quite a forward thinking person that designed it so wide to take today's traffic.

Darling Harbour where we stayed is fantastic for food, bars and connecting with the city, shops in walking distance and also convention centres too, as we were leaving they were all set for the Australian MTV awards, complete with red carpet and TV cameras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Opera House & Sydney Harbour BridgeOpera House & Sydney Harbour Bridge
Opera House & Sydney Harbour Bridge

Spectacular views from the water taxi
Water taxiWater taxi
Water taxi

Bit of an experience!
Sydney AquariumSydney Aquarium
Sydney Aquarium

Sea Dragon
Sydney AquariumSydney Aquarium
Sydney Aquarium

Sea horses entwined
Harbour Bridge ClimbHarbour Bridge Climb
Harbour Bridge Climb

See those little people up there... that was Jean!!! Those flags are 50 square metres, big enough to fit a van on.
Hunter Valley tourHunter Valley tour
Hunter Valley tour

Lindemans vineyard
Hunter Valley tourHunter Valley tour
Hunter Valley tour

Oakvale vineyard


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb