Sunday June 1st-Day 100! (Socceroos Vs. Iraq)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
June 1st 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26635&l=8132c&id=503645207
Day 100!!!! We made it! Today we were up bright and early (5:20). As I have come to expect latly it rained most of the day. Work started at 6:30 and it was on the other side of the central business district. The job was with a removal company but we ended up moving desk equipment into an office building on different floors from the truck. We were told to expect to work until 12. This sounded great because we would be able to do some research on the trip before going to the 5 PM soccer game. As it turns out we didn't finish work until 1:30. It was nearly a full days work! By the time we walked back to the hostel it was two O'Clock. There was not much time to do research as we wanted to get to the game an hour early to see what it was all about. I hopped on the computer which ended up taking just under an hour and then made a large meal so that I would not have to buy any food at the game. The game ended up being awesome. It took place at Suncorp Stadium which could be no more then 500 metres from the hostel.We showed up an hour early and had a look at the merchendise. It was surprisingly at a fair price. I didn't pick anything up but Mike ended up buying a large flag for 15 bucks. There was free sponsor give aways however, which I did take advantage of. Quantas gave out these weird rolled up pieces of paper which had handles on each end. When opened up it said go Quantas Socceroos and resembled the scarves that soccer supporters wear. I also got thunder sticks from Foxtel. After all this we made our ways to our seats. We ended up being right in a corner about 30-40 rows up. The seats were absolutly perfect! Because it is soccer it is actually better to sit away from the field because it is easier to see. We were still close enough we could recognise the players however. The best part was that we were just under the cover of the "roof" that the stadium has. The field isnt covered but there is a perimeter roof which does cover a bit less then half the seats.

The game started off with many scoring opportunities. Iraq hit a ball right off the cross bar in the 4th minute and Harry Kewell (Australian captain and former Liverpool player) set up many chances for other socceroos. However at the end of the first half the game was still a zero zero draw. The second half started off the same as the first with both sides having scoring opportunities. The only difference was that the socceroos capitalized on one opportunity. In the 47th minute Harry Kewell headed a cross in from a bald headed socceroo, who looked like an Italian and had an Italian name. After this Australian played a possession game making the Iraqi team look foolish keeping it away from them for long stretches at a time. Towards the end of the game the Italian looking guy and Kewell were both subbed off. The game started to change slightly as the socceroos could not keep possession as easily. Iraq did end up getting some more amazing chances which they should have capitalized on surely but did not. Towards the end of the game some Iraqi supporters who I recognised as sitting by us ended up running onto the field. With their clothes on! They ran around for atleast two minutes without any security or police even making it on the pitch. One of the guys ended up basically giving up walking into a security guard for the socceroos and the other one was eventually coralled. When I say coralled I mean coralled! A rent-a-cop walked onto the field definatly overweight like half the country and basically ushered him as if he was a VIP off the field and through one of the tunnels. The rest of the game there were few chances and nothing much else happened. After the game we headed back to the hostel, it was still lightly raining. I made a little snack and then made food in hopes that I would have work tomorrow. I knew that I would not have work with Adrian as it was still raining and the forcast for tomorrow was for more rain. My plan was to go into AWX early and hope for some sort of indoor job!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb