Brisbane Week 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
February 24th 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 77 secs
How hot?????How hot?????How hot?????

This was inside in the shade
Its so hard to believe we have been here 3 weeks now...time has flown and it actually feels like we have been here a lot longer.

Another week at work has passed, and we have had our first pay day which helps. What makes it a little easier to handle is the fact that our 20 minute walk to work is through tropical gardens, with people doing exercise classes all over the show, and the sun shining, its a real out door lifestyle.. The alternative mode of transport, for when we are feeling lazy, is the ferry, which takes 5 minutes.

You will probably all be pleased to know that all the problems you have with moving into a new place in the UK arent any different here. I am currently doing battle with the gas and electric company and have spent the last week on the phone to them everyday. They also have 45 minute holding times, so I am a little frustrated!! The funny thing is that people are so nice and I have not yet been as assertive as I normally am. This may have to change.

We have been roller blading or running every
Lone PineLone PineLone Pine

Koalas have a great life, sleeping and eating, sure I was meant to be one of them
night so slowly getting fit. Although, as the week went on it has got gradually hotter and hotter so it gets harder and harder to do even the basic task of walking to work, let alone run.

On Friday night we met up with Lynn, from the recruitment agency, and a couple of her colleagues. She is a great laugh however 5 bottles wine between 4 of us is not great when you havent eaten. I managed to somehow get myself lost after going to the toilet (no toilets in the bars - you have to go in a shopping mall). Turns out I was looking in the wrong bar!!!

Saturday we were both very hungover and in 40 degree...yes thats how hot it was...we felt terrible. The thermostat in our appartment said 35 degrees in the shade, there was no breeze, it really was unbearable. Apparantely, it was the hottest day this summer, thank goodness it is not like that every day. I dont know how they bear it in places like the outback. We really felt it. We even heard a local saying it was far too hot. I have spent the last 2 days walking round with ice blocks (you know the ones you normally put in cool bags to keep your food cold) they work remarkably well, and it saves on the air con bills.. We managed about an hour outside, even in the shade it was far too hot.

Today (Sunday) we went out to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is about 45 mins outside the city. It was quite a cool place, I imagine great for kids, as you can cuddle a koala and pet kangaroos. Although it doesnt beat Steve Irwin's zoo. We then caught the ferry and went for a coffee in a funky bar in West End and watched the world go by. The weather was so much more bearable today, I didnt even burn which is a total miracle.

Steve has seen a glimmer of hope on the job front doing what he was doing in the UK so we will keep our fingers crossed....I, on the other hand, will remain in my call centre.......

More next week.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Steve n SkippySteve n Skippy
Steve n Skippy

Steve wanted to know who was tallest


12th March 2008

silence
keep logging on to this in anticipation of more exciting pics and news as to what you doing------ come on give us the pics!!demon m-i-l x

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb