Back in the Big Smoke


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
September 20th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all.
Still struggling with putting photos up on this. Not being my computer I don't know where to plug the usb in..I have put some on that. Oh well.

We are now really warm and Brisbane is very noisy. First slightly down moment somehow when walking in such a crowded and noisy CBD. I obviously prefer regional areas. Still, it is a good chance to look for some work..the girls in cafes etc and me nursing.

We had a great time in Port Macquarie camping and swimming. Bonnie and Beth are doing their music practice hoping to hone their busking skills and I am walking, running, swimming etc. Tough I know, but someone has to do it.

After that we went to Inverell, about 200 kms north of Tamworth, to stay at the Mustang Ranch, owned by Frank Wheeler, aka the Big Wheel (and numerous other epithets). He is an American who flew for the U.S. govt chasing drug runners until his plane went down in the jungle. And that is just the start of his story. He has four filing cabinets full of clippings of his adventures and inventions. He must have had a big payout after the crash and now spends his time doing silly things like ride a 125cc Honda around Australia. I might add that he is 6'5" and no lightweight.
He has rescued people from the Timor Sea, ridden a 250cc outfit across the country as some sort of record, and walked the Simpson Desert propelling a tractor like motorized wheelbarrow. Not to mention the solar powered boat and the speed boat trip from Sydney to Moresby.
He now works doing debt recovery and private investigator work...? shady...storys of murder and mayhem are abundant.
It was an iconic (I dislike that word..why did I use it?) monent as we drove into Inverell in his Mercedes. Very flash, with loud country music playing and Frank in his big hat and fancy cowboy boots.
He was fabulously hospitable and generous and the girls had a good time playing with his designer cows, canoeing on his dam, and splitting wood..a gainful task he set them which kept them amused and blistered for some time.
We were very well looked after.
And if you question my use of the term 'designer cows' I can explain. He has a fetish for colour and has seven recently serviced dows...each a different colour.
Now we are in Brisbane and I am lucky in having accommodation in a flat overlooking the bright lights. I am not sure what our movements will be. It depends on the girls in many ways. If they get some work it will influence the decision. Kate comes up tonight for almost a fortnight, so we will certainly be in this area for that time, though likely to go to Byron/Ballina.

Feel free to comment/communicate on this site. Just realise that it can be read by all subscribers. Thanks for your good wishes, Shona!

Gillian, happily ensconced in a florist/internet cafe in Morningside.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb