Scratching round Brisbane


Advertisement
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Central Brisbane


After a good night's sleep I woke up scratching away, somewhere between PD and Brissie a mosquito had decided to have a feast on me - interesting fact - did you know it was only the female mosquito that snacked on human blood?

It was still quite early and I had the day to myself as all were working or away. I had decided to head into Brissie and do the walking tour from the Lonely Planet Guide. It had also recommend a good place for brekkie as well - which today was a light breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, orange juice and green tea - well I needed the energy for the 5k walk!!

Brisbane is an interesting city - in parts very modern, and in other parts very colonial (more so than Sydney). It was almost like stepping into Singapore, Hong Kong or colonial parts of India. I was half expecting to see the cast of It Aint Half Hot Mum to appear.

The self guided walk started me in Anzac Square (created to remember the Australians and New Zealanders who lost there lives in the Wars) and took me through the central business district and onto the old customs house, a fantastically victorian and regal building. Walking on I passed the Brisbane Harbour Bridge and stopped to have a scratch. A slight deviation to get some insect bite cream (to my relief and cessation of scratching) and I continue down the great river, watching the world go by and the river cat ferries dart by.

Into the stunningly beautiful Brisbane Botanical Gardens, shared by the Queensland University and a fantastic modern art museum. Next door was Parliament House (no longer for the Parliament) with an amazing copper top roof that sparkled in the light. From here it was time to a ferry across to the South Bank - very reminiscent of our south bank - where their national theatre and art galleries where based. They even had a brissie eye, but not to such a grand scale as ours!

Walking back I passed by the Treasury Building, a very grand Italian style building, now home to the Conrad Hotel and Casino.

And so I find myself here, at the local internetorium writing this blog. This afternoon's activity is on to Brett's Wharf for some lunch and a scenic tour on the river cat.

Tomorrow brings my flight to my penultimate destination - Melbourne - home of the foodies... yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb