Broken Hill to Birdsville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Birdsville
June 24th 2009
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The road out of Broken Hill was boring and bumpy on the way to Cameron’s Corner it was very outbacky. Cameron’s Corner is where 3 states meet - New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland. Then we hit the road again and headed to Innamincka. Had a look around and filled the car with fuel. I got a hat pin to add to my collection. Then we were on the road to Burke’s Grave. Burke’s Grave is where Burke died, he was a famous explorer together with his sidekick Wills. Wills died on the other side of town, but also on Cooper Creek. We then headed to the Dig Tree which is where Burke & Wills had set up camp to head North to the Gulf of Carpentaria. When they weren’t back by a certain date the rest of the camp packed up and headed back home. They carved a message in the tree to dig 3 foot for food supplies that they had left for them. They buried the food so that the Aboriginals couldn’t steal it. We stayed there the night. Kate and I went down to the river and skimmed rocks.

In the morning we tried to
Santos Oil FieldSantos Oil FieldSantos Oil Field

Drove through here - lots of Oil pumps
leave early, it didn’t work out, but we still managed to get to Birdsville to camp.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb