Mt Cooroora, Mt Tibrogagan and Mt Beerwah


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Beerwah
May 27th 2000
Published: May 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mts Beerwah, Tibrogagan and Cooroora


Mt Tibrogagan

27 May 2000

One of the larger Glasshouse Mountains, 364m from the base and so steep you need to use both hands and feet to haul yourself up.

I went up with a group from work, climbing early so we could have a champagne and chicken breakfast at the top. We hung around the top a little longer to let the bubbly wear off a bit.
As we were about to descend, a guy in a lycra suit came jogging up then jogged back down again. And we were scrambling down on our backsides.
We passed several groups but some had started around lunchtime. A storm came over and people were stranded on the mountain.
Like Mt Beerwah, this one is also very dangerous when wet.

Mt Cooroora

05 Aug 2000

Located near Pomona, west of Noosa, this is a very popular climb at 439m. Even Granma made it to the top. And we had our lunch up there.

Each year the King of the Mountain race is held here. Runners race up the mountain and back into town, the record is 23 mins. We took a little longer than that.
pop the corkpop the corkpop the cork

Mt Beerwah is the largest, Mt Coonowrin is the most dangerous: it is not permitted to climb it.

All the way down I was wondering how you could run down the steep slope without losing your footing on the loose rocks and falling headlong down the mountain.In places there are aluminium stairs

19 May 2013

This mountain though steep, isn't very difficult so it's a nice short climb up and down.

Mount Beerwah

21 Apr 2007

I joined several guys from work to climb Mount Beerwah. They were all 10, 20 and 30 years younger than me. At 556m it's the largest of the Glasshouse Mountains. It's also the most popular.

The first section at the bottom is long, steep and smooth (from people sliding down on their backsides) and with small hand and foot holds. Short people have trouble reaching between them.
I didn't think I would make it to the top as I'm not very fit at the moment. 3 of us started at 6:30 and I stopped 50m below the cliff because I was feeling quite faint. I decided to wait for them while they climbed to the top. 30 mins later 2 more work mates came up. I was feeling better by then so I continued up with them.
While I'd been waiting others came past, including guys on their second climb for the morning. They use the first one as a warm up and climb the mountain every weekend, if it's not raining. It's extremely dangerous when it's wet.
The whole climb was very steep (I used my hands most of the way) except under the overhanging cliff. We stayed on the top 30 mins while the rest of our friends arrived. It was great up there but I don't know if I'll do it again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

scramblingscrambling
scrambling

this is where people get stuck
Mt CoorooraMt Cooroora
Mt Cooroora

King of the Mountain race is held here
Steep StartSteep Start
Steep Start

It's a big rock slab
Steep StartSteep Start
Steep Start

coming down this section is pretty scary: we went a different way
overhanging cliffsoverhanging cliffs
overhanging cliffs

the mountain is granite which had pushed up through layers of sandstone. the cliffs are of sandstone blocks


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb