Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Atherton Tablelands
August 8th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We just picked everyone up from their homestays this morning. Although they were glad to see each other, they were sad to leave the famillies. From what I have heard, they all had a great time.

Right now we have some free time before we go to feed kangaroos and hold koalas, so everyone is shopping in a small town called Karanda on top of the Tablelands. We had to drive through a rainforest to get up here. It is the dry season, so I don't think it was as tropical as most of us thought (although still very tropical!).

Tomorrow we go to the Great Barrier Reef. I think the students are very excited about that. We have had perfect weather up until today. It is a little cloudy, and everyone (Australians) seem to think it will stay like this for at least 5 days. This would normally be fine, but I guess it makes for a choppier ride out to the reef and the wind may kick up some sand. The weather is actually not windy or rainy, so I can't imagine the weather causing too much trouble...but keep your fingers crossed. Either way, it is a once in a lifetime experience (for most of us) so we will all be super excited, I am sure!

After the reef we will have a day of hiking and kayaking at Fitzroy Island, then wake up at 4am for our flight back. Tonight is going to be our big 'party' night since we will be having an Aboriginal dance. All the students have learned actions to Home Among the Gum Trees, and since there will be other delegations there, Sam, Dana, and I have let them know that our group needs to be the best. This shouldn't be hard, because our entire trip we have heard nothing but positive things about all the students. At our barbi last night we had the homestay parents pulling us away left and right to tell us how wonderful all the students were...we can't take credit for it, so I wanted to pass that onto you!

Advertisement



9th August 2006

Many Thanks!
Thank you so much for passing along all the compliments you've received on the kids! Thank you SO much for "sharing" the experience with us and keeping us updated on their activities! I'm sure some of the reports back haven't been as detailed as your reports. ha Mine included. We still continue to receive feedback that this is just a blast from Briana and that she's having so much fun that she sort of misses home, but is still really having a great time! Can't wait to see all of you! Hope it's a "fast and easy" trip home! Cynthia Culmo

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb