Airlie Beach and Whitsudays...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
September 13th 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hill-Inlet lookoutHill-Inlet lookoutHill-Inlet lookout

...how lush is that?

A self explanitory title



After five lazy days in Bowen, we drove 140km south to Airlie Beach. Arlie beach is a jumping restort town, despite its name is has NO beach...mmn...but a huge lagoon -or- swimming pool as we know know it. Backpackers arrive by the coach load to seek the beautiful Whitsundays Islands, beaches, sailing, and boozy doo's.

Unfortunately the weather was bad for the first five days we where there, so we camped in a car park :o/ for the duration until the gail force winds and rain had passed... It was during this time that we felt obliged to visit every pub and club at least three times, met loads of sound people, and partied the nights away.

We booked a three day tour of the Whitsundays on a huge Catamoran called 'Wings' via the main tour operator: 'Oz Adventure'. This particualr boat was mainly aimed towards people that wanted to dive and snorkel the best reefs around the Whitsundays, whereas other boat opperators are basically booze cruises, we weren't up for paying lots of money to get pissed on a boat for three days!.

The yaucht was very sleek with four crew and
Squirt and I Squirt and I Squirt and I

...on Whitehaven beach
twenty-four passengers that were all around the same age group. We sailed through lush bluey-green waters to various Islands, stopping off at amazing reefs - with huge amounts of marrine life, inc: huge sea turtles and Humpback whales that migrate through these waters every year! We spent an afternoon at Whitehaven beach (one of the top ten beach locations in the world). The beach was pure white as it is Sillicon and squeeks when you walk on it, it also doesn't absorb heat from the sun - so it is nice and cold! We also trekked up to Hill-inlet lookout to see the absolutely stunning sillicon/sand formations created by a revine that flows into the tropical beaches...this is one of the top ten photograghed sites in the world! From the lookout we could see hundereds of stingrays! Infact, I snorkeled right next to a sting ray that was the same size as me, but didn't follow it after the Steve Irwin incident that occured just before we boarded the cruise!

Ally went scubba diving and had a wicked time, although the visablity was poor and the currents were strong that day, she ended up rolling around in coral, and was stung many times. The really nice instructor thought she was hilarious! I, however, could not dive as i have asthma. Which usually isn't a problem anywhere else in the world, but North Queensland Barrier Reef operators have had lots of legal action taken out from previous tourists who got into trouble!! To be fair, i had a great time snorkelling, and can now free dive at least 6-8meters!!!!

The food on the ship was proper lush, the people where great, the weather was proper lush mint, snorkelling was proper mint, and for every one bloke there were four girls...what a fantastic trip it was!

Love to all - miss you loads

nick & Ally

xxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hill-Inlet lookout 2Hill-Inlet lookout 2
Hill-Inlet lookout 2

...how lush is that?
Hill-inlet lookout...Hill-inlet lookout...
Hill-inlet lookout...

...the black dots in the bottom left corner are sting rays!


9th October 2006

Me babbers!
Hey my dearys! Loving the updated blogs keeping me completely motivated and going with 'Laura's master plan'... uni, teach/save for year and get out there too! I miss ya loads and am as jealous as ever lol!! xxxx mmwwhhhhhaaaa xxxxx
25th October 2006

get a proper job!
Hey Nick Ali - getting fed up of hearing all the good news - isnt it about time you got a proper job - off to Stow on the Wold horse fair tomorrow - bed you're jealous and wishing you were here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Love you xxx ma

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb