Hardcore sailing on the Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
April 20th 2006
Published: May 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whitehaven BeachWhitehaven BeachWhitehaven Beach

The names BOND
Well Arlie beach is basically the gateway to the Whitsundays and the great Barrier Reef, so pretty hectic and full of backpackers but we loved it here.
Our accomodation was on a hill so great views of the reef from our windows.
We booked a 3 day excursion on the Eureka 2. Its a Maxi sailing yacht that still races the Sydney to Hobart and various other races in the summer, but retires in the winter to the whitsundays for practice.
We were promised 3 days of pure heaven, cruising the Barrier reef, snorkling and food cooked by al la carte chef. All this was true but they failed to mension that HARDCORE WHITE knuckle sailing was on the agenda and on the first day people were hurling over the back of the boat.
We managed to hold it down though, but it was pretty rough.
Anyways, we were dropped off on a few differnt islands on some deserted beautiful beaches to chill and snorlke before being taken to a few of the reefs to snorkle and relax for evenings of good foo and plenty of alchohol.
I dont think anything compares to kicking back in the middle of the barrier
Whitehaven BeachWhitehaven BeachWhitehaven Beach

Tori looks pretty good too
reef looking up at the stars and the sky with good company, good food and a bottle of good brandy!!!!
One afternoon whilst snorkling the reef, an American guy came to surface saying he spotted an 8ft shark just below us and amazingly evryone just dives down in search of it, with out worrying about being eaten????
Also a 15 ft jellyfish joined us but we all swam for cover, after recent stinger fatalities reported in papers, but luckily we all had stinger suits on and boy did I look good in mine !!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

OOOOar me hartiesOOOOar me harties
OOOOar me harties

On board the Eureka 2


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb