oh think twice, it's just another day for us in paradise (sorry couldn't resist, but why do all the Aussie hostels play phil collins)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
March 4th 2005
Published: March 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey all, hope you are all doing well. Its been great to hear from those that have left comments or emailed me back.

Our fumbling up the east coast of australia has brought us to the city of Mackey. Lots done so here we go.

after leaving summer, sorry, Byron Bay we made our way to surfers paradise. sounds nice you may think. we thought the same. its basically like tenerife moved on mass to Oz. loads of backpackers out to try the surf out, which actually isn't that good anyway. the most surfy we got was to go to a life saving club and get food. Met a nice couple though and we shared travelling tales and witty, amusing anecdotes. How we laughed.

Leaving the next day things improved as we headed north. Stopped off at a koala sanctuary. Cat got to hug a koala. I hugged a crocodile. I am writing this with one arm and half a face.

Then we arrived at Noosa. Ah fair and lovely Noosa. this is more like it. Fantastic beaches (see catalog photo of me on beach), national parks and a lots of cool bars. We even stumbled across a nudist beach (hurrah!) And made a sharp exit. We took a jet ski up the river (Cat was not impressed - "LOOK OUT FOR THAT!!!").

Moving up t'coast again we came to Rainbow beach (so called because Bungle was born there). There wasn't a lot to do there but from you can get one of about 785 tours to Fraser Island - the worlds largest sand island (see photos). Its an amazing place. Basically, if you don't like sand, don't go there. Buts its an amazingly diverse place (rainforest, sand, lakes, dunes, tourist resorts, sand, dingos, cliffs and sand). The best lake was lake mackenzie. got a bit sunburnt there (sorry Mum) again got some catalog-style photos. Met some cool people (from Derbyshire and West London). I'm sure one of the guys, Terry, was a London-mobster in his early days. Lots of jewellry and a don't-mess-with-me cockney accent.

This brings us to Mackey. There's a beautiful national park called Eungulla (meaning land of cloud). Loads of gorges, waterfalls and 'wierd beasties' as lonely planet calls it. Lizards scatter as you walk along. After a bit of a walk we stopped off at a water hole (not the one where Lou works in Neighbours). gorgeous.

We're on out way to Airlie beach now to the whitsundays.

News round up
- tan is good (red bits are going).
- I still look english (despite buying the most amazing pairs of board shorts)
- insect repellent is a marketing scam

Bonza

take care all of you (apparently its a bit icy at home)
Love A.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1022.6kb