Leaving Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The last supperThe last supperThe last supper

Last night together :(
2/2/09 = Goodbyes...hopefully.

Woke up at 1am and just couldn't understand what had happened. Looked down at myself fully clothed and half under a blanket and was a little bewildered. Took a few minutes, then the 7:30 snooze came back to me. Wondered what happened about Gem ringing, but then rolled over and back to sleep. When woke up properly at 6am, repeated whole process again. First was mad that had woken up so early, then remembered 7;30 bedtime, then was happy because actually had quite alot of sleep 😊 Wrote diary while all peacful in room, but then a staff lady came and ruined it when she came in at 7 and woke everyone up to check we were in right beds. Annoyed me, but Deb and Hat were really annoyed because they wanted a lie in. Too late by that point, all awake now, so all got ready for day.

Same old weather outside = rain, rain, rain and really fancied a bed day, a.k.a. a Sunday. Hostel so rubbish though, that once light came, had to get out of bed before could see all grime that had just slept in. Magnums = only a place to come at night. Got up and went for breakfast still in same clothes that slept in. Really couldn't be bothered to even get changed. Had breakfast and Dingoman popped up, so chatted to him for a while. Not suprised to find out that his boat did sail on the last day, visited 2 more islands and definitely did not come home early. Appollo...you are a joke! Could have stayed and chatted to him forever because so ion the mood to just slop about, but made myself go back to the grotty little room. When got back, some people were still sleeping and was actually still quite dark and dingy. Contemplated getting back into bed...but decided against it. Rain again = internet again, so off I went. Again not in mood, but again spent hours tyoing away...got to catch up somehow. Couldn't stay on as long as wanted to though because was last day altogether today, so decided to spend some time together. Me and Deb leaving for Brisbane tomorrow and Hat heading up to Cairns. At least, they were the plans. Weather so bad at mo that lots of worrying news about transport being cancelled, even planes and especially buses. Went to check with lady at hostel and she said plane should be o.k. for tomorrow, but getting bus to airport was much more of a worry because of roads flooding. Oh no...please don't let us be stuck here! Needed to get to Brisbane so that could get flight to New Zealand on 4th and couldn't think of a worse place to be stuck than Airlie. Was even worse for poor Hat. Here in Airlie we were only feeling reprecussions of cyclone that was actually in Cairns...Cairns was a complete write off. All had to cross fingers and pray.

Got back to hostel at 2, made some lunch (v.lovely ham and cheese toasties) and then went and sat in bar to chill out. Drank some of the 20 beers we had left (ha!) and Andy and Ian came over to chat. Did the v.English thing of chatting about the weather and sharing horror stories and chinese whispers of all things we had heard, including that another cyclone was on it's way and that Airlie was going to be a complete washout by tomorrow afternoon, with everyone stranded. Really worried now. Also chatted about boats and found that ours was only one - out of 3 of them round table - that didn't go to Whitehaven...typical! Chatted for a while, then headed off to Tribal Travel yet again to sort last few things. Must have pushed my luck with internet though because camera didn't work on 3 different computers that I tried and instead, ended up doing a sudoko, which to be honest, I really enjoyed...been a while since I've done anything requiring brain power.

Had our 40mins in Tribal, then headed back to hostel to get ready to go out for nice meal. Decided to spend last night together doing the thing that we all love most...eating. Went out at 7 and had a mooch around a few places before found a great Mexican place. It was reasonably pricede and the food was great. The girls got fajitas and I got chillie and we all really enjoyed it. Just finished when Gem rang, which was really nice. Had bit of a chat, but then dessert came, so had to pass her over. Sorry Gem, I love you, but there's not a person in the world that I would put before chocolate cake. Lovely, hot chocolate cake with cream and lots of chocolate sauce...was beautiful...really, really beautiful. Was a really big piece and crossed my mind for a second that I might not eat it all...ha! Who am I trying to kid!?! Gobbled him down 😊 Chatted to Gem a bit more then and walked back to hostel in rain, rain macs on again. Rain mac is a definite must when travelling.

Sat in bar when got back and had a few more 'boat beers'; never going to drink all 20 though...cake took far too much room up. Ian and Andy came over to chat again and stayed out for a while. Deb went off to bed and me and Hat tried to squeeze another beer in. Andy was really nice and gave me loads of money for when we go to Guatemala. Apparently, he couldn't get it changed anywhere, so gave us equivalent of 40pound...brilliant! Gave him some of the boat beers in exchange...not sure they were quite as well appreciated. Finished drinks and chat, said goodbyes (wierd to think won't see people again), then went to bed at 11;30. Deb was already asleep when got back. Said goodbye properly to Hat, which was really wierd. Been travelling together for a month now and felt really 'unreal' to say goodbye...probably because we said goodbye and then went to sleep in beds next to each other. She was leaving really early in morning, but I knew it wouldn't feel real until we woke up and she wasn't there 😞. Got tucked up in bed and thought about time in Australia. Loved it, but can't wait to get to New Zealand...please let us get to the airport x

3/2/09 = Last day in Australia

Woke up early to lots of rustling sounds around me. Thought might be Hat packing up, so tipped head over bed and opened one eye. Her bed was empty and she had gone already; was 6:15am. Felt quite sad and couldn't get back to sleep, so rolled around for a while, then got up and had a shower. We had a busy day ahead too. By time got out of shower, had to rush around to get to kitchen and have breakfast before 8am. Was all rush, rush, rush from that point onwards. Had to get all clothes properly machine washed because Hat had been bitten by bed bugs in days before. Didn't know whether it was on boat or in hostel, but either way, had to wash everything we owned to make sure there was nothing living inside them. Hate bedbugs. Cost $8 to get everythign washed and dried and whole process took 2 hours = lot of waiting around. Got fully ready, posted last Australian postcards, and then finally checked out at 10am when washing had finished. Went to have last hour in Tribal Travel and camera didn't work again, so spent time reading instead. Was 11:30 at this point and time to get back to hostel to catch airport bus at 12:15; please let roads be o.k. and please let us get to airport!

Couldn't believe eyes when stepped into hostel. Hattie Leach and Dingoman popped up from behind a column. What were they doing here? Turns out they got on bus at 6am, did 3 hr journey up coast and then driver got to bit of road that was undrivable because of flooding, so they had to come all way back. A 6hr journey for nothing. They were in suprisingly high spirits and had already planned a road trip down to Brisbane to fly to Cairns instead...can't believe how bad this weather is. Even more worried about getting to airport now. Had a quick 10min chat, grabbed lunch out of fridge (the usual sandwich), then all walked to bus stop together. Rain had actually stopped by this point and was actually muggy warm again...maybe we will make it. Or maybe it is the calm before the storm again...hope we make it out. Felt wierd to say goodbye again and quite sad as stepped onto bus. Such mixed feelings, because didn't want to leave everyone, but definitely ready to leave Australia and really want to get to New Zealand. Bus set off and found myslef willing it on. Couldn't realx for rest of journey.

15mins into journey to airport, started to rain again...oh no...faster driver please. Didn't make it any better that driver told us all about cancellations at airport yesterday and how people had been stranded there overnight. He followed this up by telling us all about flooding and that is was only going to get worse. So, if we didn't get out today, we would probably be stuck there for quite a few days...rainy season = a big deal over here! Drove through loads of deep puddles and every time we approached, crossed fingers and said a little prayer would make it through. Airport in sight...felt nothing but optimism and relief. Cheery bus driver just couldn't resist shattering hope and told us weather was definitley looking worse and should all "cross your fingers" that you make it out in time. Oh no. Only got worse when got to check in and people before us asked if plane was definitely going to fly. She replied with: "We are still unsure at this time". Really oh no! Checked in, ate sandwhiches and went through gate to wait for plane. Could see plane was already in and saw another one take off...surely we will be o.k.? Felt myself counting seconds on watched and so happy when got called to board...can't cancel now can they?

Was suprised at how big plane was. Airport was so unbelievably small. Only had 1 gate and only had to get there 30mins before flight; really cute. Got straight on plane and strapped myself in anyway. Somehow felt more definite if strapped in...no going back now. Engine turned on, plane moved and off we went. Never been so pleased to take off. Never even crossed my mind to be scared. Landed in Brisbane an hour later, so happy to be there, but thirsty and hungry after a disappointing lack of either food or drink on plane. Checked out, got bags and got airtrain tickets to take us into city. Airtrain dropped us at Roma street and was only a 500m walk to hostel, but 500m = a long time when carrying 20KG on back...yes...20KG. Couldn't believe it when checked bag in at Airlie airport and it came up as 20kg. Started trip with only 14kg...but that was until Mum's christmas package came. I love you Mum and the gift was incredibly practical, but I hope you've saved some money for the spinal operation I will need when I get home. Carrying around 3 shower gels, a giant shampoo, 2 conditioners, 2 deodrants, shaving gel and face cream is definitely taking it's toll on me back! At least I should smell nice I guess?!

Struggled along to hostel only to find it was another rubbish one. Reception was closed and when I opened door to go outside, she was really snappy with me. Apparently she couldn't concentrate if door opened?! Went to check if any of other hostels had a room, but they were all full, so looked like would have to stay there. Couldn't get back in when came back and Deb was trapped in...couldn't open the precious door! Had to wait until she officially opened reception, then got our room key and dumped our things. Was possibly the worst room ever stayed in...and that's saying something. Had only a concrete floor where smelly carpet had been ripped up, curtains looked like they were made at the turn of the century and had the overall feeling of a crack den...excited to sleep here tonight! Walked straight out and went to supermarket. Had to think carefully about what to buy because didn't want to get too much money out and have it leftover. Decided to eat cheap meal at hostel and avoid getting money out to pay for cutley. Just got fruit for breakfast, because had to leave ridiculously early anyway.

Back at hostel, got possibly the worst meal ever. By the way, this hostel called Cloud 9...ironic...if that was cloud 9, don't send me to heaven. Meal was only $5 so guess we should have expected it; drink of pop cost $6. Got Chicken Thai curry and don't believe I found any actual chicken in it. Tasted worse than your average microwave meal, but gobbled it down to fill a hole. Only had 1 job left, then could go to bed. Job = booking hostel in Aukland. Only took 10mins and booked a lovely YHA hostel...v.excited, YHA always nice. That was me doen then. Absolutely shattered and had to be up for airport at 4:30am. Sooner go to sleep in crack den, sooner can wake up and leave. Don't even want to talk about all stains on my sheet 😞
Ate luxory yoghurt in v.un-luxory bed, then went straight to sleep at 8:15. Was too tired and grossed out to even read book. Bring on New Zealand.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb