Brisbane to Airlie Beach on the Virago


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
December 19th 2003
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jan and I find ourselves childless for our first Christmas together. One thing we know about each other is that we both like the sun, the sea and the wind in our faces so with no plans we pack a few clothes and hop on the bike and head north not knowing quite where we will end up. I had an idea that I would like to try and reach Airlie Beach, but that would depend on how saddle sore we both got.

With the bike needing fuel every hour or so it is relatively slow going but the dismount for fuel gives us a chance to stretch our legs. First night we call it a day when we get to Gladstone and check into a backpackers for the night. We decide to take a walk into town rather than ride so that the butt cheeks can have a rest for awhile. A nice steak and a few beers later we call it a night.

Next morning we get an early start and decide to make it to Airlie Beach. Along the way we stop off at a few "driver reviver" stops for a coffee and chat to the local volunteers and fellow travelers. I think they were all amused to see Jan hop off the bike, turn around and present her butt to me for a massage. We make good time this day and reach Airlie Beach by mid afternoon.

On arrival we suss out a few backpackers and find what has to be the best in town, right across from the beachfront. The next few days we just laze around town and the beaches with a short ride to the marinas. Airlie Beach has a fantastic saltwater pool on the esplanade and that soon becomes our evening hangout.

Christmas Day fast approaches and we try to book into somewhere nice for a seafood lunch. Unfortunately every restaurant in town is booked out for Christmas lunch so we decide to have lunch on the beach under the palm trees. Prawns, mangos, bread rolls & brie cheese and a bottle of wine to wash it all down makes for a very pleasant afternoon.

Boxing Day we booked a day cruise on Domino, a 40 foot yacht and head out to the islands for some swimming and snorkeling. The skipper's wife packed us all a lovely seafood
DominoDominoDomino

Jan chats to the skipper as we sail out to the islands. We had a great snorkel and a beautiful seafood lunch on a deserted beach before heading back to the marina late afternoon.
lunch pack which we ate on one of the beaches. This turned out to be a very fitting way to end our time at Airlie Beach.

The ride home we decide to take out time and stop at Rockhampton the first night and then onto Gladstone the next. In Gladstone we look up some friends of Jan's who are living on a yacht in the marina. We have dinner with them that night and stay overnight in the guest's cabin. What a life eh. They are now living up in Darwin, having sailed from Gladstone some time after we left.

Next morning we head off early to Agnes Waters only to run very short on fuel during one of the legs. We had to make a detour to a little town for fuel and end up spending an hour on the roadside waiting for a servo to open. Rain soaked we get into Agnes Waters mid afternoon. That night I get talked into going out dancing and we stumble back to our abode in the we small hours.

Our last leg takes up to Noosa and once again check into a backpackers where we decide to stay for 2 nights. First day we hire a small boat and try our luck at a little fishing. Fat chance so we do a little rich and famous people spotting and cruise up and down all the canals.

On our last night Jan remembered that she had packed her "high heels" and that she hadn't worn them the whole trip. I hake the hint and we head off to the Sheraton for a seafood smorgasbord. We booked in for the early sitting and think we were one of the last to leave at the conclusion of the second sitting. Two fat little piggies waddled home late that night.

Next morning, bags packed we have a leisurely ride home to Brissie getting in around lunchtime.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

NoosaNoosa
Noosa

We hired the boat for the day and did a spot of fishing as we cruised the canals of the rich and famous.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb