The Beginning


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
September 28th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is the first of our entries on this site. We decided to set up a travel blog to talk about what we are doing, where we are, what we have seen, experienced and who we have met.

But first, just a little bit of context.

This journey has been a long time in the beginning. Pat has been keen to backpack around the world for the last 40 years. She has had the chance but she has also has had a husband for most of that time. There has always been something in the way. Jobs, campaigns, kids, careers, houses etc. We always said we would do it one day but have never had the time. Made it to our mid - or perhaps late - 50s, and we need to get mobile before things start to seize up.

So we have sold the house and are packing up our gear. This phase will be complete within 3 weeks. There is a timeline here - the new people move in then. From that time on there is no timelline. We will go until we have done everything that Pat has ever wanted to do.

The first stage of the trip will be in the tried and trusted old ute from Batchelor NT down to Brisbane. We will see some of the rellies and eventually leave the ute with the kids. From there possibly just off to New Zealand. Thought we might see the next door neighbours first. We have already been to Indonesia a couple of times.

Then back to Australia for Christmas and New Year - possibly, and then on a plane to somewhere in Asia.

We will try to keep this blog up to date so that family and friends can keep track of us if they wish.

This leaving home business is not all that easy. Cleaning the house up for sale, finishing all of the jobs that needed to be done to make it look its best, packing, organising accounts, wrapping up accounts, sorting out tax and finances. Even the dog has had to be found a new home.

It is coming to a close now though and it will be good to be on the road. We will see some before we actually leave the country though. Can't be too precise at this time.

Should mention that the title for this blog was the subject of much discussion and debate over a months. We needed a title that ensures that we are continually reminded that we are in no hurry. We will not rush. We will go down any track that takes our fancy and will hang around in places that we are enjoying. We do want to see it all but we will not be hurried. So Slowfeet it is.

Advertisement



29th September 2008

Congratulations!
I think it is wonderful that you are taking this step and wish you well. My Dad and Stepmother have just returned from 2 months travelling around Europe and had a fabulous time. My Dad had never been travelling before and it has been truly eye opening for him. I know how our 6 month adventure travelling Australia changed our lives forever - so enjoy!!!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb