Moving Up a Class in The Western McDonnell Ranges


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Simpsons GapSimpsons GapSimpsons Gap

Simpsons Gap within the Western McDonnell Ranges
There are basically two types of tours. The first are the backpackers' tours, as I have already mentioned, which are aimed the young with very little money. They have no frills and tend to be on quite a small scale. Then there are the coach tours, which are aimed at flocks of old fuddy-duddies with stacks of money. Unfortunately, all the backpackers tours to the Western MacDonnell Ranges were fully booked, so I ended up paying through the nose for an AAT Kings coach tour.

I was the only one below the age of 80 on the coach!

The guide / driver, Scotty, was superb. He spent the whole time cracking jokes and deluging us with an avalanche of knowledge. Anything you want to know about anything in the Outback, he's your man!

Most of what there is to see in the Western MacDonnell Ranges consisted of various gaps, gorges and chasms, as well as the Ghost Gum trees and various other sites. I started the tour in quite a negative frame of mind, but it was actually a very enjoyable day. The old people, of course, spent the whole day moaning about anything and everything.

The lunch was of a much higher class than what you would expect on a back-packers' tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Western McDonnell RangesWestern McDonnell Ranges
Western McDonnell Ranges

Part of the mountians that make up the Western McDonnell Ranges
Ghost GumsGhost Gums
Ghost Gums

Two Ghost Gum trees on the way to the Western McDonnell Ranges


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb