Travelling Blind


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sam AiconSam AiconSam Aicon

Sam "OX" Aicon
DAY 223


Morning broke a little bit later than usual, well that is that we are 1 ½ hours ahead from what had become normality for us.

I peeled open an eye and looked at my watch it was 7.30, Andy was still lying in bed, that usual 6.00 start for Andy was an 1 ½ hours late, which would be about the right time in WA considering our new time difference.

We decided to stay in until 8.00, outside we can hear people moving around and the usual sound of people packing up and getting ready to leave for their next destination.

We both got up and soon the kettle was whistling and the tea was made, this morning was an easy breakfast of cereal, not much to do really as we just need to finish breakfast, pack up and hit the road, except of course people stop by and get talking.

A blind gentleman wandered past and Andy said “hello”, he stopped and soon he told us that he was going to be here with his wife for a couple of months, she helps out in the Roadhouse and he will wander around doing a few chores, such as emptying the bins and whatever else he is able to deal with. He tells us that as soon as he knew that he was going blind, they decided to sell the house and hit the road, this was 6 years ago.

While chatting to him Andy caught someone else’s eye and said hello, when this chap wandered back past us he stopped to talk. We find out that this chap is the son of a landowner, he explained that he has been in the Northern Territories to have a look around one of their properties, he often drives around the properties checking that everything is in order. He explains that they own a station that is the second single biggest property in Australia, they own several across Queensland and Northern Territories.

Sam Aicon, is a stockman and hard worker, it seems that he has done a bit of everything, he is also a farrier by trade and used to drive a road train, he sold the prime mover and now just owns the trailers and leases them out. They are also involved in tourism, it seems that all of us tourists like to see the stations and how they work and live.

Sam tells us that his partner is from Oxford, they are getting married on August 18th this year that happens to be our Wedding Anniversary, his wife to be is a schoolteacher on the property in Queensland, Concurry, a very different way of life than Oxford.

Andy made him a cup of coffee, he was taking the mick out of some of my English expressions and tried to put on an English accent and said his partner will wonder who he has been speaking too. Sam said if Andy needed a job as an Engineer on the station then to give him a ring, this is all well and good, but what would I do on a station? I suppose I could wash the horses and make damper? Actually on second thoughts I can get a job in Brisbane and then send Andy out for a few weeks to work on the station, then I can shop to my hearts content.

Well, as usual because of our chatting, time is ticking on and we are going to be late leaving, we are only a couple of hours drive from Katherine and we had hoped to be there before lunchtime.

So we hurriedly packed up and at 10.15 we left the roadhouse (with Sam’s phone number) and headed out through the roadworks and toward Katherine.

Not long into the journey, Andy shrieks “I have just seen a snake”, I missed it but we turned around and headed back, sure enough this snake was basking in the morning sun on the verge. I could see some stripy markings on its body, it was brown in colour but we have not identified it as yet. Sadly we could not find it, we think it had slithered off into the bush, so no photo, just happy that we have seen one.

The drive seemed awfully long this morning, but no longer than some other days, just a bit uneventful, just after midday we pulled into Katherine.

We heard some people talking on the UHF, they commented that it must be payday as the aborigines are in town shopping. There are strict alcohol rules here, i.e. that alcohol is not allowed to be drunk in certain areas.

We looked for the Katherine Low Level Nature Reserve and thus found our Big4 caravan park where we plan on spending the next couple of nights. The park looks lovely it has a huge area of parkland at the front so you cannot even see the caravans on the site. We pay $27.00 for a night including our discount.

Before long we have a new bed for the night all set up, well maybe not a new bed, same bed different location. We beetled around for a bit, after a cup of tea of course then popped into Katherine to explore, we found a Subway so had some lunch and then we went across the road to the information centre on Katherine Gorge, she was so helpful that she confirmed that I picked up the correct brochure and told me that everything I needed to know was in that, including the prices. “Thanks.”

There is not much in Katherine, but a bigger town than Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing, they even have a Woolworths here.

On the way back to camp we stop for a peek at the Hot Springs, which turns out was quite busy, there was an aboriginal group of kids down there with their teacher, they were all very excited, one was also playing the didgeridoo.

We decided to come back in the morning when it would be less busy.

Back at camp we got on with some chores, the day was escaping us quite quickly really, but all the same it is nice that it is lighter later in the evenings, at least we don’t feel like going to bed quite so early! I even saw a Rainbow Bee Eater flying around the trees by our camp this afternoon there is an abundance of bird life around here.

We spent some time uploading the blog and publishing so that we could get up to date, we were a few days out again due to the absence of internet.

Finally after dinner, I managed to Skype my Mum and Dad, wished Dad a belated “Happy Birthday”, at least he got the cards that I sent (including the Fathers Day card for Sunday!!!) and the brief Birthday message that I emailed.
While I was speaking to Mum and Dad a Tawny Frogmouth Owl swooped down with some gusto hitting the ground and swooping straight back up into the tree behind us. This beautiful Owl did this several times while we were sat here watching it, totally unperturbed by our presence.

We were lucky enough to see Tawny Frog Mouths in the daytime when we were in Carnarvon, we hope that we are lucky enough to see this one around in the daytime, but they are so well camouflaged in the trees, they are very difficult to spot.

The evening had turned very chilly, so we both had our fleeces on, ok so we were still wearing shorts, but bedtime was calling so that we could get warm for the night.


Advertisement



25th June 2009

Caravan Parks
One of the interesting sidelights of your blog is the number of caravan parks you stop in, are some the of the same ones we stopped in. Brought to light by the Big4 in Katherine. We were there. Aren't the Tawny Frog Mouths interesting. So hard to see when in the trees. Unfortunately we didn't see any of them flying. Keep up the good work. Later!!!
26th June 2009

Tawny Frog Mouths
We love the Tawny Frog Mouths, we were lucky to see this one in particular hunting and when he flew down to catch his prey no more than 2 feet away from where we were sitting, it was just amazing. We could not see them in the daytime at Katherine, exceptionally well camouflaged, we were lucky to see them in the daytime in Carnarvon. I still think Nature is amazing! Caroline

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb