DAY TWO - The Fire Walk With Sarah


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
September 14th 2013
Published: September 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a visit to the Uluru Cultural Centre, the children meet with Sarah and a parks tour guide and commenced their walk towards the base of Uluru to learn about living off the land, survival and traditional indigenous hunting skills. Sarah is a local indigenous elder who shared stories about how her Grandparents hunted for and gathered food in order to care for and look after their families.

All the girls had the opportunity to balance a large food gathering bowl on their head and carry a traditional digging stick, these being essential woman's bush tools. The food gathering bowl was also used as a cradle for a new born baby, which was filled with soft warm sand to comfort the baby's sleep as it was rocked from side to side.

The boys then took to the man's traditional hunting skills, under instruction from Janusz Hooker, These wooden spears are thrown using a 'wira' which assists in propelling the spear through the air. The spears used were young boys training spears, whereas men's spears are much larger. It is known that indigenous men can throw spears between 50-75 metres, with perfect precision.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb