Alice Springs & Ayres Rock!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
November 25th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

21st November 2008 - STANLEY CHASM & SIMPSON"S GAP!!
As we were ahead of schedule we decided to spend a full day in Alice Springs rather than moving on straight away. Unfortunatley the pool on the campsite was closed so no morning swim for me. Instead we passed some time reading n lazing about near the van. Nice not to be driving for a while!!

At around 11am we set out in the van to Stanley Chasm. We hoped to catch it at its best when the walls were lit up by the sun. When we arrived we actually put our trainers on instead of braving the rocky walk in flipflops and walked for 15 minutes to the Chasm along a creek bed. The walls were a pretty bright orange when we got there & were around cathedral height....pretty impressive!!! We took some photos and did a little rock climbing before heading back to the van.

We then drove to Simpson's Gap and no it doesn't have anything to do with Bart or Homer. We failed to see the Wallabies that were supposed to scamper over the rocks but still a nice walk. We couldn't walk right the way through due to flooding but it was still pretty.

We then drove back to the campsite calling at the shopping mall and supermarket on the way to restock our supplies. The evening was spent on the internet for an hour or so and then in the TV room watching Bourne Ultimatium........such good viewing!!!

Before sleep we plugged our van into the power cable to sneakily charge our electrical stuff. Naughty naughty as you have to pay extra for powered sites but luckily we didn't get caught!!! Slap on the wrist for us though!!!

22nd November 2008 - ROCK ON TO AYRES ROCK (ULURU)!!
It was pretty cold in the van last night and I even had to use a towel as a sheet to keep warm. A big change from previous nights!!! After brekkie and showers we packed up the van and set off. Before we got on the road we called at K-mart to replace some of our clothes as some were getting pretty tatty through too much wear!! Whilst in K-mart Nat got attacked by a mentally retarded woman. She flung herself at her and scratched all her arm!!! The carer pulled her off and took her outside but still not your average shopping trip! Nat didn't fuss though....she was all about the bargains!!

After K-mart we got fuel and ice before setting off on the road towards Ayres Rock (Uluru). We spotted a camel farm along the way and stopped there for a look. Most of the camels had the hump though (boom......on form there Debs!!) and weren't too friendly!! I was surprised by their size...a lot bigger than I thought they'd be.

We swapped drivers at Erldunda and fueled up at the same time before arriving at Ayres Rock at around 3.30pm. We chilled for a while by the pool and got some food before setting out at around 6ish to see the sunset on The Rock............No...not the wrestler/film star.

When we arrived at the rock it looked pretty impressive. So big!!! We set our chairs up and got out our pre mixed cans of Vodka-Passionfruit before settling to watch the rock change colour as the sun set . There were a few clouds around so the colour changes weren't that vivid but it did light up in places and was well worth seeing!! We stayed there until it got dark and then drove back to the campsite. It had to be an early night for us as we were up at 4am to come back and catch the sunrise!!

Driven - 458km

23 November 2008 - THE ROCK, THE POOL & THE LIGHTENING!!!
The alarm went off at 4.15am and at that point I wondered what on earth was so special about a rock!!! After a quick shower we were on the road at 4.45am heading towards the sunrise point. There were loads of people around watching the rock and waiting for something amazing to happen. Unfortunatley it didn't turn the electric red it was supposed to as it was far too cloudy and pretty windy!!! Still awesome to see and glad I didn't roll over in bed and go back to sleep!!!

We stayed in the van for a bit after sunrise, had some brekkie and warmed up out of the wind. At around 8.30am when the wind had eased a little we set off on the 10km walk arund the rock and took some more photos of.....yes you guessed it....us and the rock!!! The walk was nice apart from the flies. They weren't like normal flies though.....they sat on you and didn't move. At one point I had about 20 on my back just hitching a lift. I wouldn't have minded if they paid a fare but no......they snook on when you weren't looking. They kept landing on my arms too so I did most of the walk swinging my arms back and forth and doing 'I must I must improve my bust' exercises so that they didn't land!! And yes...I looked a fool...but it worked!!

We got back to the campsite around 12ish and I headed straight to the pool as it was pretty hot by this time. Managed to burn my eyelids in the sun too....a little sore!!! The pool was freezing and we tried to get timer shots of us jumping in the pool.....took a few attempts before we timed it right and the people in the pool just kept laughing at us!!

Later we went to the shopping centre, tried to get a camel ride but they were closed and then went to the lookout to see the view!!! You could see Uluru and another set of rocks called Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) in the distance.

At around 6ish we set out in the van to see the sunset at The Olgas. I preferred the Olgas to Ayres Rock as they seemed to have more about them. It kept trying to rain and we had to put our trusty macs on!!! We sat there for an hour or so, can in hand again to watch the sunset. The rock did light up in places as the sun shone through the cloud and then all the sky lit up red!!! Very pretty!!!

Once the sun had gone down I drove back to the campsite. We kept seeing fork lightening......first to the left of us, then in the rear view and then in front of us. I always thought that thunder and lightening was the lightening talking to the thunder and the thunder answering back but the thunder must have either not had a lot to say or must have been playing a good game of hide and seek because there was no rain or thunder!!! It was pretty cool to see but a little too close for comfort at times!!! Glad the tyres were rubber!!

When we got back we were both 'rocked out'!!! Only so
Morning at the Rock!!!Morning at the Rock!!!Morning at the Rock!!!

Pretty blustery morning!!! Start of the 10k walk around the rock!!!!
many rocks you can see in a few days and we had seen them all!!!

Driven - 198km

24th November 2008 - AYRES ROCK TO COOBER PEDY
We were up around 7.30am and off on the road after our usual moring rountine. It was goodbye rocks and time to leave the outback!!! I drove to Erldunda and then Nat took over. Nats drive was like something out of the film 'Twister'. We went from blue skies to driving directly through a storm. You couldn't see the road for the rain and lightening was striking the ground. Very intense!! We stopped at Maria to have lunch, fuel and change drivers. With a change of driver came a change of weather as the sun came out! Someone is looking after me because I hate driving in the rain!!! We also crossed the border into South Australia.........goodbye Outback!!!

Coober Pedy was our stop for the night and was a weird town!! It had loads of opal mining goping on and every building was either an opal museum or a shop selling opals!!! Lots of underground stuff too including a bar and a restaurant which we went to have a look
Cannonball.....!!!!!!!Cannonball.....!!!!!!!Cannonball.....!!!!!!!

Took ages to get this shot and it's still pants!!! I look like I have no neck and 12 chins!!!! Nat looks like shes off to the ladies!!!!
at that evening. We wanted to have a go at noodling too (digging for opals) but they had stopped for the day. Turns out they were one hour in front of Alice Springs here.......I can't keep track of all this time changing!!!

Driven 761km

25th November 2008 - COOBER PEDY TO PORT AUGUSTA
We were limited to 2 minute showers in Coober Pedy.....power and water shortages!! I showered in a record of 1 minute 43 seconds and was as clean as could be!!! Impressive for a girl!!!

Before we headed out on the road we visited the underground church - exactly as it sounds.....a church underground!!! Very different!! We then headed to the supermarket to restock and where a man proceeded to hump the bonnet of the van!!! Not what you want at 8 in the morning and I locked my door quick smart!!!

Nat drove the first half of the journey today and I the second. The roads were getting busier now and less desert-like as we headed nearer to Adelaide and it was no longer novel to wave at other drivers as I found out when most drivers looked at me gone out!! I'll maybe stick to campervans from here on in!!!

We arrived in Port Augusta at around 3pm. Very hot day and so we headed straight to the pool. 2 guys were talking about Adelaide......they described it as 'shit surf and too many sharks'!!! Maybe I would have to re-think my sea adventures!!!

Following the pool we headed back to the van and realised we had an ant infestation!!! Not good!!! We went to but some ant spray and preceeded to empty the van onto the carpark whilst we disinfected and killed them!!! They stole a whole bag of raisins before we got them though the little buggers!!!

Once we got back to the site we were told to move the van as apparently a lot of locals like to scale the campsite wall and steal from the vans. We moved ours inbetween 2 others...safety in numbers and all that!!! It was then action as usual......tea, tv room and bed! I would be sleeping with one eye open though!!!!

Driven 561km

Our outback journey was now at an end!! I had liked the outback and the experience of driving through it had been cool!!! I was looking
Crossing the border!!!!Crossing the border!!!!Crossing the border!!!!

I put the same clothes on as the last border photo specially.....or did we just miss the last border sign and took it now because it was on the reverse?!!!!
forward to some beach action again though and was ready for a good night out!!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb