The most amazing experience..


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ayers Rock Ayers Rock Ayers Rock

At sunset
Hi all,

We are currently in Alice Springs after a very adventurous couple of days and time in the outback here in australia.

We left Perth on Friday, was an absolutely amazing place. Great lifestyle out there and the aussies are very laid back! No dramas!!! Had a sad g'bye at the airport but we had to move on to the next leg of our travels. We flew from Perth to Ayers Rock, only a couple of hours....1hr 30mins time difference, so now we are 8 1/2 hours ahead of home.

Stayed at the outback pioneer lodge, shared a room with a funny couple! Next morning we set our alarms at 4.30am to get up for the sunrise at Ayers Rock and then later on that day did Ayers Rock at sunset. Pretty amazing sight, it's so massive!!! Loads of tourists! But enjoyed a cuppa at sunrise and some vino at sunset.

The next day we booked a camping trip to do Kings Creek, Kings Canyon a few other sights and we would finish in Alice Springs.

Got picked up at lunchtime by Paul our guide and headed to the campsite in Uluru (Ayers Rock)...we were joining the 2nd day of a trip so met all the other fellow campers. All ages and nationalities. The first night we headed to Kings Creek where we would camp. Pretty cool, much more than the crappy camp beds we had in Guides!!! It was a permanent campsite but still in the middle of NOWHERE. Was awesome. When we arrived had to dip in the pool, was probably around mid 30s. Had a great dinner cooked on the campfire and some beers.

Next morning we were awoken at 5am by Paul playing his harmonica, great personality, great guy. 52 and is well travelled and a great sense of humour. Had an hour to hit the road ready for our 6km hike around Kings Canyon. Packed up camp and headed off. On the way Paul was giving us snippets of info about the surroundings. We were driving on the single road out of Kings Creek to the canyon, passing the odd car surrounded by bushland. Amazing how anything grows out there, also saw wild horses, cows and camels. Saw our 1st wild kangaroo but it was dead on the roadside.

Once we arrived at Kings Canyon we saw the
Kings CanyonKings CanyonKings Canyon

Heart attack Hill - yes will climbed that!
1st step of the hike....Heartattack Hill. Need i say more!!!!!! It was a pyramid shape, very steep and pricarious!!! 20 out of 22 of us put ourselves in for the hike, but it was so worth it. Probably one of the most amazing things we have ever done, was so worth the aching calves and the heat. Although we started our hike at 6.45am and were finished by 10.45am, no way you could do it in the midday sun.

So after the hike we made our way to various gourges and sights along the way, Mt Connor, Glen Helen Gorge...and saw many different landscapes along the way. Strange that there are so many different parts to the outback. We also had to do a couple of hours on a dirt track road, that was a boneshaker! and the true outback in the heat of the day. Took a stop by a valley for a toilet pitstop, so very very hot.

Arrived in Alice Springs last night at a very nice self contained appartment, shame we only had one night in it. Just killing time this morning and lunchtime before our flight to Cairns this evening.

Will put
Kings CanyonKings CanyonKings Canyon

Spectacular!!
a few piccies on my blog.

Love to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

OutbackOutback
Outback

The dirt track road we travelled on in the outback


17th October 2008

Love reading your blog!!
Keep it up xxx Mum xxx
17th November 2008

amazing
it's really amazing well done :)
17th November 2008

amazing
it's really amazing well done :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb