Day 22, Ayers Rock (Uluru)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
February 10th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We camped out again last night under the stars, around the camp fire. we all slept so much better, probably due to exhaustion! it is so warm at night but guess what, i was cold!

Got up at 4.30 again ready for sunrise over ayers rock. We had breakfast sat out whilst watching the sunrise over the rock. i litterally can't believe i am here. am having the absoulte time of my life.

After sunrise, (and after we had all taken loads of photos) we drove to the rock. you can climb the rock if the temperature that day is going to be less than 36 degrees. but as it had been no less than 40 degrees we weren't going to be able to. so we did the base walk, which is the walk around the rock. its about 9km and took 2 hours. a lot of the ground around the rock is considered sacred by the aboriginal communities.

The walk finished and everyone was going back to alice springs but we were being dropped back at the ayers rock resort as we fly from here tomorrow. finally mobile phone reception! we said goodbye to the tour group and agreed to meet up again with Andrew (AKA Bruce the aussie).Then Jen, steve and i checked into our hostel. its really nice. Spent the afternoon chillin by the pool getting my tan on listening to my iPOD.

We watched the sunset again on Uluru in the evening, again with more beer, and then could finally sleep in a real bed!

This has been a trip of a lifetime and am so so glad i did it. Hit the east coast tomorrow, Cairns here we come!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb