The Valley of the palms


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Palm Valley
June 13th 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

offroadoffroadoffroad

Peana gets a wheel up
Day 66
On the road by 9am with everyone showered and packed. Amazing. A short drive today to the valley of the palms. A stunning little valley with the last of the red palms in the world. Amazing to see these trees as once they are gone that is it. Jackie’s knees are bugging her so just Sean and I venture out for a short 2km hike. I didn’t use any stairs and climbed my way up to the top, only about 25 feet. Uh oh.. that got me going for more adventure. It was a stunning walk and an even more stunning drive. I am really enjoying the 4 wheeling we are doing, we are being gentle on Peana though, we don’t want to be stranded out here. We camp about 4km away from the valley for 6.60 p/p, but for flush toilets and bbq’s its worth it. After camp is setup I convince Sean to come on a hike up the mountain. Well it was first the outlook mountain then I seen a way cooler mountain further back. About a 2km hike to the base. Then 3 hours up and down. We didn’t make it to the top due to safety reasons and dealt with our success at the midwayish point after struggling just to get that high as the ridges seemed to be spaced about 10-15 feet apart making it tough going, some parts we traversed some narrow ridges that I am sure if mom was here she would be telling me to get back down right now. LOL. But we lived and seen some amazing views. Climbs are always worth the effort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

bugbug
bug

A bug!!
spiderspider
spider

creepy ass spider
climbclimb
climb

Sketchy walks
climb3climb3
climb3

The rocks we left
campvalleycampvalley
campvalley

Our camp for the night


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb