Mataranka NT


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Mataranka
August 6th 2023
Published: August 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Reluctantly, we left Kakadu National Park and headed south to visit Edith (Leliyn) Falls. Leliyn is part of Nitmiluk National Park, which has as its key attraction Katherine Gorge. We had booked a campsite in Leliyn for our caravan, to enable us to enjoy an afternoon swim in one of the largest croc-managed plunge pools in the NT. The waterfall that cascades into the plunge pool is a long swim across the dark, foreboding pool, with reedy banks just like we had seen in Kakadu, potentially hiding fearsome saltwater crocodiles. With some hesitance, I ended up swimming across to the waterfall twice, taking the opportunity of a massage under the falls.

After an overnight stay at Leliyn, we drove to Mataranka for a two night stay. We had unfinished business at Mataranka, as the renowned Bitter Springs had been closed on our way up to Darwin, due the sighting of a saltwater croc in the springs by a local ranger. We were hoping that Bitter Springs would be open again by the time we made our way back down to Mataranka, and it was. We drove straight to Bitter Springs after setting up in Territory Manor Tourist Park, and floated down the clear flowing water on our noodles, then jumped out to walk back up to the entry point, floating down the creek several times. The flow of the water carries you down to the exit point without any paddling. The recent presence of a salty croc in the springs did make one a little wary of the dark pools along this natural creek.

I found the water in Bitter Springs to be a little warm, and thus, we headed over that afternoon to Mataranka Homestead Springs, where we enjoyed a more passive swim in the clearer and cooler springs. Mataranka Homestead Springs have been more formally landscaped, with rock walls lining the creek, making it much safer, cleaner and clearer from a croc point of view.

The next day saw us attend the Mataranka Markets, before again swimming in both Bitter Springs and Mataranka Homestead Springs. Whilst almost every traveller we have spoken to raves about Bitter Springs, I would be quite happy to swim in Mataranka Homestead, Katherine Springs or Berry Springs.

I have included a photo of a Road Train which typifies the extreme length of the trucks traveling the roads in the NT.

With the news that my elderly father has been hospitalised, we have decided not to head west to WA, and instead head home to Wellington NSW.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb