Litchfield National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Litchfield
August 25th 2017
Published: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Litchfield is a 1509 sq Km national park situated in the top end of the North Territory. The park historically belongs to the Aboriginal Wagait People.

We spent two nights and three days here.

On the first day we arrived pretty early and after having our breakfast we went and saw the Magnetic and Cathedral termite mounds. There were mounds everywhere but the biggest stands at two meters high. The termites had built them with great care allowing the least possible surface area to be facing the sun.

We then went to Buley Rockhole, a series of small waterfalls and rock holes where we swam and relaxed. While we were here we saw our first wild snake! After a few hours in the holes we moved on to the Florence Falls.

Florence Falls is a double waterfall in a monsoon rainforest. At the base of the Falls is a huge water hole where we swam. To get to the Falls there are 160 steps through the rain forest.

We camped at the Florence Falls Campsite and were finally able to unpack and sort the van out to how we wanted it.

On the second day we went to Bamboo Creek Tin Mine. From 1905 - 1950 tin and copper were mined in the park. However during the wet season it was too difficult to transport the tin and copper so the mine was shut. Today there's a walk way around the areas of the mine and plaques explaining to you which each part was for.

We then went to Cascades. This, for me, was the worst part of Litchfield. The bottom pool was shut and the top pool was a rather long climb. The pool was small and not as clean as the others we'd seen.

We then went to what is apparently the popular Falls in Litchfield. Wangi Falls. The two Falls flow in to either side of a massive swimming hole. Here we saw a lot of spiders, which were a lot bigger than the ones we get at home!!

We camped in Wangi Falls camp site that night and as we were eating wallabies came really close to our van.

Our last day in Litchfield started with a quick dip in Wangi again followed by a shower. Then we drove to Tolmer Falls. You can't swim in this pool because it's a protected area for rare bats, Orange Horseshoe and Ghost Bats, but the viewing platform gave you an amazing view of the Falls and the surrounding country side.

Our last stop was Tabletop swamp. Neither of us had ever seen a swamp and honestly there wasn't much to see at this one.

Litchfield was amazing. The Falls, the swimming pools, the views, all beautiful


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb