Litchfield National Park to Darwin


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Litchfield, 1500 square kilometres of National Park. Originally home to the Koongurrukun, Marranuggu, Werat and Warray Aboriginal Communities. Discovered by the Finniss Exploration and named after one of the explorers, Fredrick Henery Litchfield .
The waterfalls at Litchfield are the main attraction. Although the Blyth homestead and termite mounds are also locations of interest.
Our focus was the falls and over a day and a 1/2 we took in as much as we possibly could.
The temperature whilst we were at Litchfield was 34-36degrees Celsius each day, humidity 80% and mozzies bad after sunset.
We stayed at the Safari Camp which was run down with cane toads and insects on the basins and wet concrete floors
Up early on the first day at 0911hrs we departed camp slowly temperature already a very humid 24degress. Bacon and eggs for breakfast and a day to investigate Litchfield.

We visited Florence Falls first and Bully Falls before Lunch.

Florence Falls
Similar characteristics to Wangi however there was a steep descent down to the plunge pool. In the plunge pool there were a lot of fish which Kate enjoyed swimming with.A viewing platform overlooking the falls gave a spectacular view of the cascading falls, overlooking the pool.

Bully Rockhole
A very popular place with many people swimming here. The stream of water runs down through many pools both big and small. The main pool we swam in had a waterfall of approximately 2 metres which had quiet a deal of force behind it. We entertained ourselves by swimming against the current and jumping in off the rocks.

After Lunch we made the decision to head for Darwin as Beth Dyall was in hospital and her health deteriorating. We packed up our camp and headed to Cacade Falls, arriving at 14.30hrs we decided not to walk the 2.6km round trip in the 36 degree heat.

With some of the other attractions closed and with lack of time we pushed into Darwin via Berry Springs.
From the Safari Camp to Free Spirit Caravan Park in Darwin we took the gravel road approximately 105kms.
With Pete's mum's health deteriorating we opted for a 4 night stay.

When we reached Darwin we setup Camp in the Free Spirit Resort in a Premium Site, with an ensuite, the park had a great bar, pool and jumping pillow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb