Litchfield


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

111

Florence Fall
Crossed the border into the Northern Territory late in the afternoon, the speed limit on Northern Territory is 130km/h rather than the 110km/h throughout Western Australia, so enjoy speeding! By now, the weather is really really hot and humid, I think I mentioned this already, but it feel like I was in water, can't breath, and the mosquito problem got worse!!! Waves and waves of them attacked us, all night... we made one over night stop over somewhere between Kununurra and Litchfield and again at another free rest area... By then I was really really tired, the humidity had got to me really big... had few drinks after dinner, was too hot to sleep in the campervan, so tried to sleep on a bench... ended up with over 200 mosquito bites, that is when I stopped counting...

So for those of you from cold climates, such as Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland, this will be some experience...

Litchfield National Park is packed with waterfalls and swimming holes... We found a paid camp site near Florence Falls, paid about $30 for the night, but you do get toilets and showers with that and the Florence Falls was only 400m
222

Water hole
from the site. Florence Fall is quite big and the water hole beneath it make it really good for swimming. There are massive fish in that pond, hundreds of of them... if you guys are good at fishing, fish will be on the dinner menu! The water temperature is really nice and warm... so have a refreshing swim. The pool is deep and have some strong currents, on average about 3 meters, but think deep parts are over 8 meters... You need to be a good swimmer.

The mosquitoes and all forms of insects attacked us all night, 2 options, sleep inside the car, which was so hot and humid, it felt like a sauna, it was getting to the point, I thought it would have been really dangerous to sleep in the campervan, so the next option was to sleep out in the open... I ended up with another 100 bites... the Swede did not cope well either... Surprising, the Kiwi and the Chilean managed to sleep through all this...

All in all, the 3 days in Litchfield, I managed 5 hours sleep in total... over 300 mosquito bites, 5 awesome swims...

The park itself is the most beautiful place to be, with so many breath taking gorges and water falls... it will be more enjoyable if you can ignored the humidity and mosquitoes... Wangi fall is definitely one of the best one there, and if there are not crocodile warning, a swim there is unreal... but read the signs before you get in the water...


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb