Day Twenty Three


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

What a busy day! Firstly the big boys went off driving down the 4WD track close by to our campsite, but they didn't think much of it. Bron was concerned about any damage to her Kia. Then we headed off for a tour of many of the highlights of Litchfield. We started by finding the Lost City. The sign to get to the Lost City has been amusing me for the last couple of days. Getting there is via another 4WD track that runs for about 10km, was quite sandy and a bit bumpy but not too bad for us sooks in the passenger seat. The Territory made it through fine thanks Lawrence. The Lost City is a group of rock structures and columns that have eroded over time and resemble the buildings and archways etc of a city. Quite incredible. Only a short walk through the city, but long enough given the heat.
Next we stopped at Tolmer Falls. These falls are inaccessible, not sure whether this is due to crocodiles or whether they are just too hard to reach. Its a massive waterfall into a deep green pool that looks as though it reaches all the way to China. It's just so hot here and so dry, it's truly amazing to see these beautiful waterways flowing throughout the desert.
Back to camp for a gourmet lunch of vegemite or jam or jam and cheese sandwiches.
Then off again to the Buley Rockholes which were so much fun. I was expecting another waterfall and waterhole combination (ho-hum....another case of 'another bloody cathedral') but Buley is a series of rockholes which flow into one another by little waterfalls and the whole thing is like a set of stairs, so that you can start at the top waterhole and work your way down to the bottom. It was extremely busy, loads of tourists enjoying the warm weather and the chance to cool off. Plenty of the pools are so deep that you can jump or dive into them. Some are the size of a spa pool, perfect for just sitting. And some were large enough to swim around in. We sat under some of the waterfalls, in some of them and laid on our tummies in the shallows and let the water flow past us. We had a great time bombing into one of the deeper pools. Even Bron and I had a go, and, yes, there are photos. In the bottom pool we were thrilled - and a bit scared - to see two water monitors. These are goannas and they make their homes in the banks of billabongs, etc. Stunning animals. Really interesting to see them interact and carry on with their lives in front of all these humans.
Back to camp at Florence Falls and Bron and Rob and I with Jack, Emma and Ruby headed down the 135 steps for a swim in the Florence Falls pool. Ro, Mima and Joe stayed behind. Ro had had enough, so he stayed back at camp and chilled out by doing some cooking. There has also been a bit of panic about the fridges. It seems the heat has done them in too and they haven't been running very efficiently, so the generator has made an appearance and may have saved the day. Jemima helped Ro make flat bread and scalloped potatoes and then she and Joe played footy in the dirt. Down at the waterhole, we all enjoyed another lovely swim, the girls diving for rocks on the bottom of the pool, Rob taking photos and Jack enjoying some quiet time. A yummy dinner of Tandoori chicken and salad and scalloped potatoes. Thankyou Bizzy for all the wonderful herbs and spices that you made for us. We have enjoyed them often throughout the trip and Ro has been 'inspired' by many of them. You have a real talent....a flavour for flavours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb