King of Kings


Advertisement
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kings Canyon



Aboriginal name: Watarraka

Kings Canyon was a 300km drive west of Uluru down the Lasseter Hwy. The road to Kings Canyon passes along the southern side of the Gillies Ranges which, over a distance of some 40-50 km, slowly rise so that by the time they reach Kings Canyon they are over 100 metres above the surrounding countryside. Kings Canyon (or Watarraka) Nation Park is probably one the most spectacular sights in central Australia, as its red rock formations create a mysterious landscape. It was well worth the diversion.

We decided to do the ‘Kings Canyon Walk’, which a 6km strenuous climb up to the steep cliffs that tower over the canyon, the walk skirts the canynons rim over looking sheer cliff faces, enters the 'Garden of Eden', with tranquil pools and pre’historic rock formations that were formed...um…ages ago! (the centre of Australia has the oldest landscape on earth, volcanic activity in Ozz had finished before the dinosaurs, Ozz has been a sleeping giant ever since).

It took us 2.5.hrs to finish the 4 hr walk and we got some good pics, weather was good, blah, blah! We also bumped into two French girls, Ann & Sarah, who we had met in Litchfield NP. They also drove a ‘Wicked’ van….so we decided to travel together from then on.

From Kings Canyon we drove back to Alice, where we would say goodbye to the French girls, and a German lad - who we’d met at a free campsite! So we all went out for a few glasses of swig!!

The Longest Roadtrip so far



Now was the longest road trip so far. Alice Springs back to Mareeba. To cut a long, long, long story short: we didn’t see a lot on the way back (except 2500km of arid desert, desolate grass lands, road kill, petrol stations, free stops, etc… but we did stop at Devils Marbles which were pretty cool, so check out the pics …


love to ya'll

nick & Ally

xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The 'Wicked' CrewThe 'Wicked' Crew
The 'Wicked' Crew

Me, Ally, Stephan, Anne & Sarah (the French twins!!)
Back to Far north QueenslandBack to Far north Queensland
Back to Far north Queensland

...ah, its nice to see green fields again!!
"Watch out they spit""Watch out they spit"
"Watch out they spit"

THE GENIE OF THE LAMP, Disney's Aladin


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb