Long Day to Kings Canyon Day 11


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise Coober PedySunrise Coober PedySunrise Coober Pedy

Opal mining tailings
We got up very early and were on the road by 7am leaving Coober Pedy. We stopped to take pictures of the sunrise and had battery problems with the camera. We had the heater going full blast at this stage as it was cold outside. We saw dead Kangaroos, burnt out cars, Camels, Cattle Beasts and Wedge Tail Eagles and there were puddles from the recent rains. We stopped at roadhouses to buy fuel and food then crossed the boarder from South Australia to Northern Territory. We had been warned about agricultural inspections at the boarder and had munched up all our fruit before leaving Coober Pedy. It turns out there are no border inspections and we could have carried our breakfast fruit with us to eat at Kings Canyon. After the boarder we turned on the air con as it had warmed up and the sun was shining in our face. The drive took 9.5 hours and we arrived at the Kings Canyon Resort late in the day ready for a quick meal and a good rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

TravellersTravellers
Travellers

We saw a lot of vehicles covered in red mud. It seems to be the sport over here to see who can have the dirtiest 4WD.
WaterWater
Water

There has been a lot of rain in the Outback this year.
RoadtrainRoadtrain
Roadtrain

You don't want to end up like this vehicle.
CamelsCamels
Camels

We were told that there are a million camels in the Outback
RoadhouseRoadhouse
Roadhouse

They had lovely homemade muffins here.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb