15 - 16 June 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
June 16th 2012
Published: September 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We hit the road early as Rachel had come across a highly recommended spot further out in Nitmiluk National Park called Edith Falls. Word is you need to get there early to get a spot if you want to camp for a few days so we took the advice and found that the early bird indeed does catch the worm.

For a minimal cost you get a spacious site with essentially your own private picnic area, toilet and shower facilities and last but not least access to some of the most spectacular countryside imaginable. There was only a 50 metre walk to a nearby waterfall and swimming area and we took advantage of this both days we were there. I love the ocean but swimming in these natural water holes is something else.

There were plenty of walking trails to head out on and on day one we took a hike over some clear as a bell waterways up to a few lookouts that gave you views of the National Park in all its glory. This particular hike took us to the Upper Pool and after sweating it out on the walk the swim at such a superb location was a great reward. You could swim out right under the waterfall and then let the current push you down gently into the lower and calmer pool for a paddle.

Day two we got up early to complete an 8.6 km walk that took us further out into the Park. The things you get to see on the way are just amazing; wild flowers, trees as far as the eye can see and different streams and waterfalls. At the half way point of the hike we took a dip at another swimming spot before hiking back and taking another swim at the Upper Pool.

At the end of the day I think this location will remain in the top five things I have seen around Australia even though there is so much more of the journey we are yet to cover.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb