In and Around Katherine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
February 22nd 2006
Published: February 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Katherine Hot SpringsKatherine Hot SpringsKatherine Hot Springs

Despite the crystal clear and warm water, the sign suggesting that it had been known for crocodiles to enter the area undetected put me off wanting to take a cooling dip!
Spent the day today travelling to the various sites in and around Katherine which included the old train station and locomotive (took some piccies for you dad), Katherine Hot Springs (an idyllic spot for a spot of natural bathing), Low Level nature reserve (a nice spot for a picnic) followed by Kathrine museum where I read up and watched a video of the 1998 Australia day floods that devasted Katherine when flood waters caused the neary Katherine Gorge water level to rise 20.4m completely devastating the town and causing 3 fatalaties, amazing considering the level of the water and the destruction around town.

We're off to Katherine Gorge tomorrow, early start as it will be a 3 hour walk along the gorge system and we want to do it early on before the sun gets too strong. I know we are English men but not even we are mad enough to go out for too long in the midday sun here where the temperatures are reaching 40 degrees + 😉 (Ouch!)

Hope you enjoy the latest pictures...

P.S. For anyone posting comments for me to review and accept onto the site, please try to let me know who
An Old Steam EngineAn Old Steam EngineAn Old Steam Engine

Festooned with local Aboriginal artwork!
you are (even if I don't know you) - thanks for the comments though Anonymous x 2!!! 😊

Love

Mikey



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Aboriginal ArtWorkAboriginal ArtWork
Aboriginal ArtWork

The local aboriginals must have run out of rocks to paint. Still its better than boring black! The aboriginal art around here is amazing!
Katherine Hot SpringsKatherine Hot Springs
Katherine Hot Springs

Certainly better than Maldon on the Mud!
Low Level Nature reserveLow Level Nature reserve
Low Level Nature reserve

It's hard to think that this water level was 20.4m higher during the floods of Australia Day 1998!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.7kb