27 June 2012


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we drove about 40 kms to Ubirr which is famous for its Aboriginal rock art.<span><span> The walk along the first part of the path had us getting the chance to see the ancient rock art and marvel at the fact that these drawings are thousands of years old.<span> We soon came across a few rangers who were giving a talk and providing some interesting facts about the area<span> and we also had the opportunity to listen to a dreamtime story delivered by one of the Aboriginal rangers.<span> This was clearly not his first time telling the story and he had the crowd fully focussed on him with his sensitive nature and good humour.<span>The pathway then took us to the top of a ridge with awe inspiring views out over the National Park.

Our next stop gave us a relatively easy 1 km walk in a loop among monsoon vegetation.<span> Lush and lively this walk requires about the strongest insect repellant available as the mosquitos were in full force.

The day was really heating up by about midday but we decided to do a 3 km trek at the next site.<span> It took us through some amazing rock formations and again we were able to get up close to see more unique rock art.<span> Next stop was Jabiru for lunch and we caught our breath having a bite to eat alongside a beautiful river.

That was about it for today and we used the afternoon to test out our newly acquired ensuite tent which was a good way to cool down after the temperature really started to sizzle later in the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb