Day 14 to Darwin to Jabiru


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 14 - Darwin to Jabiru. / Kakadu TrIp

This morning was our last morning in Darwin. We have seen a lot of Darwin and probably could have seen more but I am confident we have seen all of the major attractions to be seen. We left Darwin mid morning, had our mandatory coffee and cream bun at the local Bakers Delight and headed off for our 220km journey. This is a short trip compared to other drives so we stopped at the local aboriginal art centre on the way and took some photos at the Welcome Kakadu sign. We now have proof that we have been here. We arrived in our camping spot at lunchtime dropped off the campers at the camping site and headed to Jabiru which is the main town in the middle of Kakadu. It appears the town is centred around one Foodland Supermarket but wow what a supermarket. It was the takeaway shop, the local hardware, the large White goods supplier,th souvenir shop, the tackle shop and anything else you could think off. Wow what a shop. I think we stayed in there for an hour and even had lunch in their little corner with tables chairs and even umbrellas. Not sure why there were umbrellas inside the shop but they were there. This town was originally set up as a mining town (mining controversial uranium) but over the last 30years it has grown into a tourist hub for visitors to Kakadu. The Ranger mine (owned by Rio Tinto) is closing in 2021 and the fate of this town of 1,000 people is unknown. Lots of political negotiations happening at the moment to try and keep the town open for the Kakadu Park tourism industry. The weather here is as hot, if not hotter than Darwin. The top temp today was 31c and for the next week it is going to be 35degrees every day. Some hot days coming up. Wohooo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb