Sleeping with Crocodiles


Advertisement
Published: September 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Window to the Wetlands Interpretive Centre– was a fascinating place set up on a high hill overlooking a large wetland. I was impressed by the number of interactive displays that kept kids and adults engaged. There was a very informative film on the natural cycles of flood and drought. It reminded me of the extremes of seasons in Canada – very cold, and very hot! It also reminded me the belief that Australia is always hot and dry and Canada is always cold and barren. I suppose that’s what people remember, because, well, if you’ve ever been to Canada in the winter, you WILL remember it!! And, if you’ve ever been to Australia in the summer, you WILL remember it.



Leaning Tree Lagoon – this was a little jewel covered with bird life and white lily flowers – something right out of a Monet painting! We stopped here for short time enjoying the scene and eating our lunch.



Tonight we sleep in a crocodile! The Gagudju Crocodile Hotel is in Jabiru in Kakadu National Park and it is shaped like a crocodile – I think we’re close to the middle of the beast! The hotel is owned and operated by the local aboriginal tribe.



In the evening, we drove to Ubirr, climbed a great rock and watched the sun go down. Looking down from the rocks, a flock of Sulfur Crested Cockatoos swooped and squawked as if saying good night to all those above.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



15th September 2014

Magnificent photos
David your Ubirr photos are amazing. If those rocks could talk on only wonders what stories they would have! Can't find my ruby slippers so you'll just have to have another drink for me at another of your amazing sunsets, lunches, beaches, waterfalls, forests, etc...
15th September 2014

Cheers!
This toast is just for you, Terri! I think David will be processing photos for months to come -- these photos are just the tip of the ice berg!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb