Bucket Billabong, Kakadu National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Daybreak on 4 Mile HoleDaybreak on 4 Mile HoleDaybreak on 4 Mile Hole

Mist rising off the Billabong. 17 degrees at 7.00am.
Travelblog 9
Thursday 19th June:
Moved to Browns Creek on the Daly River for a bush-camp. Leonie took the car and trailer and I drove the boat. Fished our little butts off and never landed a decent fish. Into Palmerston for food and fuel (by-Harry we seem to go through these things). Spent the night in Berrimah then out to Kakadu and 4 Mile Hole on the Wildman River. Met-up with PK and Kim King and Aloha and Ken Brown. The camp area had been devastated by the National Park Rangers doing a hazard reduction burn-off. Its hard to understand how these unqualified toilet cleaners obtain the authority to light bushfires???
Fished the billabong and caught lots of undersized Barra (legal size is greater than 55cm). Finally, with more coaching from PK and Kim and different lures and tackle we managed to start catching ‘keepers’.
Fished from daylight to dark trying different lures and techniques = loads of fun. Leonie scored the best with an 84 cm one (see the photo).
Friday 4th July:
Decided to move to Bucket Billabong on the upstream section of the South Alligator River. Ken and Aloha had beaten us there by a day. Seems like
LeonieLeonieLeonie

Fighting Barramundi. Just prior to release. Too heavy for Leonie to hold up.
the water is too cold and the Barra are not real active. Visited again by the vigilant N.P. Rangers. Tried all the different lures in the tackle bag but the fish just are not interested. Air temperature during the day ranges from 30 to 35 degrees but the low night temperature of 15 to 20 degrees has allowed the billabong to cool down.
Tuesday 8th July:
Still at Bucket Billabong, still fishin’ and still havin’ fun.
Must head into Palmerston to pick-up the mail soon. Bills need to be paid.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

PK and Kim KingPK and Kim King
PK and Kim King

Filleting Barramundi at 4 Mile Hole.
Leonie with a 72 cm BarraLeonie with a 72 cm Barra
Leonie with a 72 cm Barra

Leonie with another big barra. This one was kept and eaten.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb