Back to Darwin & some mudcrabs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
May 9th 2016
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.4613, 130.842

We sleep in this morning and check out at 10.00 am on route to Darwin with our esky full of fresh ice. Travelling in true Muller style we crack our first morning beer as we exit Kakadu National Park heading toward the Humpdy Doo Pub for lunch. On arriving the place is packed and we order a couple of burgers and yes they are right as we give them the thumbs up for the best burgers in the top end.

Another hour and we are back in Darwin now becoming a familiar site. We have booked into the Vibe Hotel right in the middle of the Harbour Precinct. It's now mid afternoon as we head back to Hot Tamales for another one of those amazing margarita's then check Restaurant One to see if they have Mud Crabs on the menu. They don't have any left so we book Crustations on the Wharf (my original choice) as they have freshly caught Whole Chille Mud Crabs, so we reserve two.

We decide to visit the Oil Tunnels just across the road which were built during WWII to hold fuel for shipping. On entering the tunnels were claustrophobic and the humidity seemed to have doubled. Deb couldn't cope and high-tailed it out of there, but I soldiered on into a much larger and cooler tunnel filled with amazing pictures depicting the early days of Darwin and the various defence establishments set up during the war.

On exiting the tunnels I spotted Deb sitting in the shade and we decided to head back to our room for an afternoon nap before heading out to dinner. On arriving at the restaurant located at the end of Stokes Wharf we pass the Pearl Lugger we heard about on the train its name is Paspaley 4 and oh boy it is one very flash boat. Next we get seated outside and sit at a table for two on the edge of the wharf and order a mud crab each as the sun sets over the harbour. Its a balmy night and reminds me a lot of Port Moresby.

By the way the mud crabs were excellent and what a great way to spend our last night in the top end,



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb