Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Darwin Trailer Yacht ClubDarwin Trailer Yacht ClubDarwin Trailer Yacht Club

"kerikerians" enjoying the Darwin hospitality.
Covered in mud and dust we arrived late afternoon in bustling Darwin and consequently had to try three campgrounds before finding two spare sites. Even with plenty of water, Murray refused to wash the vehicle.
Our time in Darwin was quite social as we met Greg and Maureen Moir who were visiting their brand new granddaughter. After a chat over coffee in the city centre, they took us to a great camping shop. Murray was tempted to buy a new chair as his is almost falling apart, but he has repaired it instead. We agreed to meet Moirs at the renowned Darwin yacht club for dinner and watch the magnificent sunset from the alfresco tables but the town and restaurant were so busy it was closed. Not to be discouraged we walked fifty paces to the trailer sailing club which was as good with the same tango sunset.

A couple of days later we set off to find our Maryborough friends who were booked in at a different motor camp behind the prison. At first we tried the wrong entrance, then drove round and round opening and closing gates in the camp looking for Russell and Vikki’s new van and
Darwin SunsetDarwin SunsetDarwin Sunset

At Darwin Cruising Club.
black land cruiser. Finally we found them in the VIP section with their friends who happen to be the managers. Meanwhile we were being closely watched by the managers who said öh no! Another lot of back packers in a dirty dusty vehicle Tell them we are full!. However they let us visit and proved to be extremely friendly people who also have a Mr. Whippy ice cream van.

As we have previously visited Darwin the only sightseeing we did was to walk the Botanical Gardens which we found quite interesting because it began in 1880 to experiment which plants grew best in this environment. Some of the trees were huge while others had stunning flowers. My extremely close inspection of one of the flowering trees resulted in me being covered in large biting green ants within 20 seconds flat. Murray was afraid I was going to cause him embarrassment by completely stripping off in an effort to rid myself of ants. It wasn’t quite necessary. The incident was very funny for everyone else.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb