Where's Noah when you need him?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
April 8th 2006
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes thats right guys it is Saturday and i am still in Darwin. Confused? Yep threw me a little too but hey ho. Remember that darned rain i told you about, well its only gone and flooded Katherine and most of the roads out of Darwin so my coach trip has been postponed until next week. One more week in darwin - oh ok i'll force myself then. Especially since all the rain is just in the surrounding areas and not in the city so its beautiful and sunny out right now. ho hum what will i do??
Went to the Northern Territory Museum and Art Gallery yesterday and really enjoyed it (and to think i would have missed it if it hadn't rained). Was also left a little freaked out though by the Cyclone Tracey exhibit. For those of you who don't know (i didn't), Cyclone Tracey was this massive cyclone that practically wiped out Darwin on Christmas Day 1973. In the exhibit they had all these aerial photos of before and after and it was pretty scary stuff. The worst bit was the little room they had. You walk through this door with its creepy creek and enter this pitch black room, it is quiet in there for a couple of seconds and then they play a recording of the cyclone itself. OH MY GOD!! Trust me that is some scary stuff to go through. All you can hear is this continuous wind and the sound of metal rooves being dragged along the ground. Apparently at one point the winds reached something like 230 km/h but they can't be sure because it broke the wind measuring equipment!!
The other cool thing in the museum is Sweetheart. Don't be fooled by the pretty name. Sweetheart is a huuuggggggggggeeeeeeee crocodile, approx 12 feet i think, that terrorised Darwin in the 80s with his taste for boats! Didn't eat any people just enjoyed the boats. Definately wouldn't want to swim with him.
Little piece of advice for anyone who finds themselves in Darwin and in need of getting around. Use public transport. I'm not kidding its great. I bought myself a one day tourcard for 5 bucks and it is valid for travel on the buses all day. The thing is when you get on the bus there should be a little machine that you insert the card into and it stamps the date and time on your card so it shows what day your card is valid on. The flaw in that plan is that 80% of those machines are not working at the moment. Therefore my one day bus pass has turned into a three day pass and counting. Everytime a bus pulls up you just stand there and prey the machine isnt working!
Ok well i'm gonna love you and leave you all for now, just wanted to keep you up to date on where i'm going, or not as the case may be! Will just have to find something to entertain myself with for the week i guess (The Cavanaugh happy hours $2 (about 70 something pence)drinks maybe??)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb