Around Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
August 3rd 2009
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Doug's sister Barbara and brother in law Jim arrived yesterday and are a couple of sites down from us. We had a lazy weekend around the caravan park, by the pool or under the awning. Doug's cousin and his wife came to see us all in the afternoon and we had a good time catching up.

Today Jim drove us into Darwin. The first thing we did was go and have a look at the new indoor beach they've built at the waterfront. Everyone was having a lovely time drifting in the water, then there was an announcement, the wave machine was about to start - evidently they have it for 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. It was quite wild with big waves at the back but everyone was having a great time being tossed around. Lots of laughter but I was glad I wasn't in with them!

We then went to the end of the wharf for a barramundi lunch, delicious and then to the pearling exhibition nearby - once more telling how they grew and farmed pearls, a model of a lugger, the old diving suit etc. Jim drove us all around Darwin and along the beaches so we had a good look at the city, then it was back to the caravan park for happy hour.

Doug's cousin Allen and his wife, another Barbara came down and joined us and we had a fun time all together. Happy hour stretched to three hours!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Plaque on the wharfPlaque on the wharf
Plaque on the wharf

informing about the bombing of Darwin - from February 1942 till November 1943, more strikes than at Pearl Harbour, something like 180.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb