Settled in at Howard Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 28th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We have arrived at Howard Springs, a few kilometres from Darwin, after driving today from Katherine. We enjoyed our couple of nights in Katherine in the very pleasant caravan park there.

Yesterday we went into town and had a good look at Katherine, first to the old stone Springvale Homestead, one of the earliest buildings there on one of the earliest pastoral leases. Then we had a look at The Stockman, the sculpture by Australian, Archie St. Clair. We had seen it last time we were here and were very surprised, when visiting Jason and Jules in Texas a few months later, to see the actual mould of the sculpture in the window of his premises in Grapevine. http://www.archiestclair.com/. Jason and Jules had actually met St. Clair previously at a BBQ over there in Grapevine. I really like The Stockman, the horse is especially well done.

We had another look at Katherine Springs, crystal clear water running through the shade trees. There were quite a few people enjoying the springs - we had swum in them last time, though I wasn't too keen on the 32 degree water. The funniest thing we saw in Katherine were all the caravans parked in the main street, carparks and paddocks. As Katherine is the crossroads for the Savannah Way going east to west and the Stuart Highway, north to south, it seemed everyone had met at Katherine. It looked like the Caravan and Camping show in Sydney!

We enjoyed our drive north today. We once more stopped to have a look at Edith Falls - last time I enjoyed a swim there, until I was told there were three freshwater crocodiles on the bank. There are many signs to old airfields from WW2 on the way, some parallel with the highway. The main railway line is also near the highway, I live in hope of seeing the Ghan travelling on it while we're driving, or better still, one day being on the Ghan, headed for Darwin.

Tomorrow is an early start as we have to have the motor home at the repairers by 8am in Darwin. Our hot water tank has been leaking for a few weeks so we've arranged to have it looked at - hopefully not replaced. Then we'll have another good look at Darwin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



12th August 2009

No crocodiles??
The funny thing is this little spring looks very similar to the one at timber creek! No crocodiles then!! Jules
12th August 2009

Hope not!
There don't seem to be any around here, just as well with all the people swimming!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb